Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ECU reporting wrong temp, No closed loop
updated for you . and more later with log curve, plots.
hit keys, Control + F5 (to up date your cache (browser)

http://www.fixkick.com/ECU/temp-sensors.html

Quote:-" ECM sees 68 degC with 270 ohm and 64 deg with 330 ohm resistors plugged to connector instead of ECT.

id wish i had the volts too, so i can discount a bad 5vdc reg inside ECU.
68C(154f) is 270 ohms (actually is 270 5% resistor shows, 154F, so proving the scan tool is OUT TO LUNCH, bad.
64C(147f) is 330

do the volts, if volts matches my table, then the scan tool is FIBBING. (using a wrong cartridge.) (or the software in the cart, is wrong, and mis-identifies your VIN
and uses a non USA car for tables)
possible reasons.
1: ECU 5vdc supply is way too high bad ECU 5vdc reg inside ECU.
2: scan tool bad. (use Rhinomans tool with the USA update) per this post.) The VIN really does matter ! and the tool must match the VIN.

one or the other.

i have no idea at all how to check version numbers of Tech one, scanner cartridges. (and is complex, i see lots of TSB on this topic old and hard to understand ,not knowing history of tool from 1984 to now)
there is a TSB telling mech how to know the magic date. build dates, 1995.5. this date they switched to OBD2 in USA, (by law) and the scan tool gets this wrong.
(a bug and revision. and a special cable needed on some)
they have a warning about that.
but your car was not made after July 1995, so is OBD1 car.

i just added my Excel, log plot to the end of my ECT page. Using the internal sum of least squares fit, plot feature to.
here is the results.
[Image: my-plot-ect.JPG]

with this plot and file. excel.
you can extrapolate up or down, and get volts to.
but at 180F its clear. 300 ohms, and 0.65v it is.
if the scan tool reads wrong, at 0.65v the tool is bad. (why? , ive not a clue)
in 1996 the scan tool only needs report what C temp it saw, it need not do calcs or use tables. thanks to OBD2.
OBD1 can be a pain, as you can see....

but id bet this ECT error has nothing to do with MPG.
i bet.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: ECU reporting wrong temp, No closed loop - by fixkick - 04-10-2015, 10:42 PM