Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1989 suzuki sidekick wont stay running
Thanks for the reply's.

1. Tested ECT 2.2 cold, 300 ohm hot.
2. I temporarily blocked the dizzy vacuum advance hose since it was leaking.
3. Yes I unplug the ECT and the map sensor and it doesn’t make a difference on running. Also cannot get the computer to show any codes while doing that.
4. I tested another ignition coil from a store and it tested the exact same as mine.
5. Fuel pressure is 37 psi and steady.
6. Injector wires look in good shape and normal.
7. I tested map voltage at ecu and it shows perfect reading with vacuum applied and at idle.
8. I took dizzy completely apart all seems to operate smooth and looks good.
9. I adjusted the air graph to the minimum of .008 and started it to see if it ran the same. It did. I adjusted it to the max of .016 and it ran the same also.
10. I retested my spark out of the coil and out of each plug wire with a test light so I could get a better look at spark and see how far I can jump it. Out of the coil it’s quite strong and almost pure blue spark jumps about 1.2 inch. At the end of the plug wires it’s about .5 inch jump and orange/yellow with a tiny bit of blue spark. A lot weaker. I could post a video on youtube if you guys are interested.
11. Dizzy cap is Bosch, rotor is Napa/echlin brand, wires blue NGK, all new at time of motor rebuild 2+ years ago. Distributor hasn’t been replaced and looks original.
12. I also tried unplugging injector and using test fuel again to run. It ran the same and doesn’t want to run and unless I feather throttle slightly.
13. If I had to guess I would say dizzy is my problem but I don’t like guessing. Is my next step to get a oscilloscope to be able to test/diagnose better. Is there any more test I can do? I plan on purchasing the pico 2204a for a scope and a handful of accessories. Ignition pick up, attenuator, back probes, and alligator clips.
13. I have noid lights but I don’t think it would help me with testing?

Thanks for all the help.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1989 suzuki sidekick wont stay running - by Shaarc5 - 03-07-2021, 05:11 AM