Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1989 suzuki sidekick wont stay running
(02-26-2021, 10:28 AM)Shaarc5 Wrote: First off, thankyou for the replys. 

Okay so I did the recommend stuff/tests today. I temporarily un plugged the dome light switch and that stopped the fuse from blowing. So I have a good fuse in there now and power.

Okay So I hooked up the timing
light to #1 wire and I can see constant flashing while cranking. I am also able to start it and keep it running now, by slightly feathering the throttle. So I feathered it to keep it running while I checked ignition timing on crank pulley. It looked good. I also ran the timing light on each spark plug wire while running and they all flashed. I took each plug out and ground it on motor to visually see spark jump and they all looked okay spark size. Color was Orange/yellow a little blue.

While keeping motor running I pressed in on the EGR valve and could hear the motor trying to bog down even more. Mentioned possibly plugged cat, so I removed my O2 sensor off the manifold and started it but it ran the same. I am using New, well two year old plugs from my rebuild that are NGK BPR5ES gapped at .028”.

With my diagnostic fuse in im still getting code 12. I do have a service manual. Fuel pressure was last checked before it went to the shop and it was in spec.

Will start right up with a little throttle feathering but wont idle and wants to bog down and die unless i keep it slightly feathering. Doesnt really want to go high rpms.

Now that I can keep it running with feathering throttle what could be some culprits or more stuff i can check?

engine good.  (compression ok, and I can only assume vacuum looks ok, not bouncing like mad)
spark seems good
no power
will not idle. (but  will  a bit hot footed but is limited)
not flooding. but  shows lean, burn symptoms?
clean the injector, even have it pro cleaned. and flow tested?

so lacks fueling....
ECT bad? (shows hot readings for cold , coolant)
MAP bad. or  hoses to it bad?  (or even connected up wrong, that hose) it must see full plenum vacuum below TB. must at all times, any speed , any load.

map readings are here below. and is the prime sensor for fueling,  + ECT.

https://fixkick.com/sensors/my-map.html
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1989 suzuki sidekick wont stay running - by fixkick - 02-26-2021, 12:07 PM