Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1989 suzuki sidekick wont stay running
First off, thankyou for the replys. 

Okay so I did the recommend stuff/tests today. I temporarily un plugged the dome light switch and that stopped the fuse from blowing. So I have a good fuse in there now and power.

Okay So I hooked up the timing
light to #1 wire and I can see constant flashing while cranking. I am also able to start it and keep it running now, by slightly feathering the throttle. So I feathered it to keep it running while I checked ignition timing on crank pulley. It looked good. I also ran the timing light on each spark plug wire while running and they all flashed. I took each plug out and ground it on motor to visually see spark jump and they all looked okay spark size. Color was Orange/yellow a little blue.

While keeping motor running I pressed in on the EGR valve and could hear the motor trying to bog down even more. Mentioned possibly plugged cat, so I removed my O2 sensor off the manifold and started it but it ran the same. I am using New, well two year old plugs from my rebuild that are NGK BPR5ES gapped at .028”.

With my diagnostic fuse in im still getting code 12. I do have a service manual. Fuel pressure was last checked before it went to the shop and it was in spec.

Will start right up with a little throttle feathering but wont idle and wants to bog down and die unless i keep it slightly feathering. Doesnt really want to go high rpms.

Now that I can keep it running with feathering throttle what could be some culprits or more stuff i can check?

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1989 suzuki sidekick wont stay running - by Shaarc5 - 02-26-2021, 10:28 AM