Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1989 suzuki sidekick wont stay running
ENGINE  IS OK.
What can stop engine from running.
spark fails, that VR thing and ignitor next to it love to fail. a bad distrib and or bad spark coil, that  cuts out.
if spark fails ECU cuts fuel,. by law and no fires.
ECU does not make spark only is monitored by ECU to cut fuel and not catch fire,
CAT melted and fails vacuum tests. (acts backwards the vacuum gauge)
EGR stuck wide open , closed it and defeat it next with pulled vacuum line.
IAC dead, not letting air in to the engine, only via DP but DP only lasts for 15seconds or less, so IAC in the base of TB is bad. if no air for starting nor air for idling cold.
DP means dash pot rear left end of TB (throttle body)
but any person with a fast right foot can emulate IAC, to add air by foot and not need any iAC at all. proving lack of idle air supply. and you said fails.(as a test)

dome fuse blow is usually the dome switch up high bad, shorting. seen them do that.
the dome fuse blown means the ECU can not hold DTC errors.  (this can hide real   errors like that, and, like  error code 41, or 42 error (DTC blink)/.

Id be testing spark much better, to make sure it is not weak or going dead randomly or only cold or some other way.
I even tape my spark strobe light ON switch with duct tape (duct tape magic again) and now Lamp is flashing,  try on all  4 spark wires not just 1.
and run the engine, see if one wire drops out spark or all do.

spark gap is 0.028 "  not as out of the box 0.045":  dead wrong. NO FUNNY spark plugs, just 1J plugs, no 2J  no 3J or 4J or worse yet surface fire plugs like my boat engine has.
use cheap plugs, on old engine, they foul before that wear out. NGK base line simple plugs. (sure of 1J platinum ok sure but not necessary)

I still thing it is spark.  weak or crazy intermittent.

so it will never ever just idle all by it self... never,  ??  not driveable sure, but what does it do,  same thing every time started or is it random this problem.?>??
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1989 suzuki sidekick wont stay running - by fixkick - 02-25-2021, 11:20 AM