Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dead clutch?
Hi All
been a while since I've been here, that is good news tho, no major problems till today. took son to college and it wouldn't shift, I had car towed back home, and started reading fix kick pages. miraculously, good ole Napa had a clutch cable in stock. i have new one staged in bell housing and at clutch pedal. when I took the old one off at bell housing there wasn't any threads sticking out of the Free Play Nut, and it was tight as hell removing Free Play Nut all the way out that it popped of once the tension was released. . Meaning not sticking out an 1/8" or so where i could get the threads started. the threads were actually way below the outer hole on the Free Play Nut, there was sludge on that end i had to clean out. http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/clutch/mik...ge_23.html So after reading further I think I need to check the factory index marks on the throw out lever http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/clutch/rel...view1w.JPG and the clutch pedal and make sure they are lined up, also the 8-1/2" and 11-1/8 on the new clutch cable. In order to get the rubber part into its location i had to get a few turns on the Free Play Nut and use some serious leverage on the throw out lever, to get everything in its rightful place. So this makes me think that the PO may have not put things together correctly. So this is the path I am headed, though the car was making some weird clutch/maybe transmission noises cant remember exactly if clutch was in or out with it making the noises. maybe i can see tomorrow, though I think the clutch may be gone, because of neglect on my part. The old clutch cable is shiny and had good movement in it On both ends, and clutch pedal was smooth when depressing it. I will also recheck for damaged components inside car pedal assembly. So Here are my questions

Is there supposed to be some threads sticking out of the clutch lever, to get the Free Play Nut started, or did i do that right?

do I adjust the Free Play Nut to get the clutch pedal at desired position inside car? (after verifying that factory index point are lined up)

which clutch assembly is the right one from rock auto I think this one is wrong because of the VIN numbers LUK 04137, so that leaves me with the EXEDY 04137 and the EXEDY 04108. here is the link to the page http://www.rockauto.com/

Did I miss anything, haha?

Cheers, Bill
1996 geo tracker cami vin# 2CNBE1867T693XXXX 2wd 5sp

Messages In This Thread
dead clutch? - by dynabill - 08-12-2015, 01:25 PM
RE: dead clutch? - by fixkick - 08-12-2015, 10:32 PM
RE: dead clutch? - by dynabill - 08-13-2015, 05:38 AM
RE: dead clutch? - by fixkick - 08-13-2015, 07:12 AM
RE: dead clutch? - by dynabill - 08-13-2015, 08:01 AM
RE: dead clutch? - by dynabill - 08-15-2015, 03:11 AM
RE: dead clutch? - by fixkick - 08-15-2015, 03:39 AM
RE: dead clutch? - by dynabill - 08-15-2015, 04:18 AM