Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Sending Units
I have a 1995 4 door Sidekick 1.6l 16 valve engine, 4wd, manual transmission. 

I’m having some issues with getting fuel level to read correctly. The needle works, but when I fill up it doesn’t go all the way to full. It will go to around 3/4 or 7/8’s. Now if I stand there and very slowly pump about 2 more gallons of gas into the tank (like a third of a gallon at a time) I can get it closer, but its dang annoying and something I don’t love doing. 

A little backstory on the vehicle. It originally had the bigger tank, but several years ago got some rust in there and had to be replaced. The shop that replaced it said they couldn’t find the bigger tank so we put the smaller one in there. I do not know if they replaced the sending unit at this time or not. Then more recently while I’ve been restoring it, I found the bigger tank from Japan, so I ordered it and thats what’s on the car now. The sending unit was replaced at the same time, but it’s reading like I described above.

I’m wondering a few things:

1) I’ve seen different part numbers for the sending units. Does that affect how they read, or is that more just about fitment in the tank? Like, if you put the sending unit for the smaller tank in the big one would it read correctly? And vice versa, if you put the sending unit for the bigger tank in the smaller tank would it read correctly? 

2) What else could cause this, and what could I do to get my needle to go all the way to full upon fill up?

I have searched up, down, and all around for info about this and can’t find exactly what I’m looking for. So any information about this is more than welcome. 

Thank you!!

Messages In This Thread
Fuel Sending Units - by chealy - 12-29-2023, 10:29 AM
RE: Fuel Sending Units - by fixkick - 01-06-2024, 10:50 PM
RE: Fuel Sending Units - by fixkick - 01-06-2024, 11:22 PM
RE: Fuel Sending Units - by fixkick - 01-06-2024, 11:40 PM
RE: Fuel Sending Units - by fixkick - 01-06-2024, 11:44 PM