Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So .. how much damage? 97 sidekick seriously over revved
damage,
blew the engine,
at least. might wreck the clutch too, it slips and burns up. my guess now as to the smoke thing, just the clutch screaming in pain smoking, your killing me and my friends.
if say the clutch is near new? and did not slipping too much, then the engine went past redline at 5000, (ecu limits near or just after here) but the ECU is off
and now there is a RPM mechanical limit, for bent rods, and valve float. (ive no spec on valve rpm max, it's not published)
cam turns 1/2 speed of crank so maybe it survived.

towed in gear the engine spins, and the oil pump runs, the pump just works, it only knows, that crank spins, it just works. It will make max PSI oil pressure, cold. a fact.
so that means there are RPM limits.(the engine is cold so RPM limits are less on a cold engine, so 5000 and 6000 rpm is a killer now) dragging a dead cold engine that fast is , a super bad deal.
I'd wonder if the rods did not get tweaked and bent , even streached or pistons cracked.

and just because and engine starts, means little on the walking wounded.
if I had oil lamp on, now, (that tells you damaged happened, its not just the sensor wire fell off and grounded out all at the same time.)
id not run it.
id crank it , fuel pump off.
and see what you have with a real gauge, may be 0. 55pis is spec, and true, and the oil pump pressure regulator is set to 55psi. so. that is what you get, cold oil. cold engine.

here I just did that, and shot this photo. (all new bearings, pump etc)
I have primed my new oil pump and oil filter and then crank it dead fuel pump, and check pressure first then top end oiling 2nd. (all part of overhaul)
http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/shifting/4WD-shifter.jpg
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: So .. how much damage? 97 sidekick seriously over revved - by fixkick - 08-21-2016, 11:53 PM