Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next glitch on my 89
see all tests here. there is no reason to pull it, until all tests are done. 10 hours labors to find a bad cable is a shame.
http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/5speed-rebuild.html#Test

ok running or not. did you put the transfer case in neutral not running and can you shift now, in to 1st?

i disagree on the shift rails. why not pull the extension housing off, and see if you can shift, if you can , the box is AOK. so easy to do.
why would the shift rails fail, just parked, no way, JOSE'
also, since this is a A/T swap, id bet the cable dont work? right.
huh?

did you do the 1 inch rule, on the lever. that is on the right side of the bell?
did you set clutch free play (test only) to zero play and then do the 1 inch test and then see if the gears drag (grind or balk?)
is the clutch cable anchored at both ends? (casing of cable anchors, like all cables must)

i had one guy who was not a believer, so o put a "come along" on the clutch and pulled it 100 % tite (fwd) , now the tranny shifted to all 5 gears and Rev, and dead silent, no grind , no balk, and i said, SEE?
15min works saves 10 hrs.

time savers
rule out cable
rule out extension housing.

thank about 1st , and how it works.
if the clutch drags the synchro will not want to dog in.
so drop xfr case to neutral and the prop shaft is free (no tension)
and the 1st now engages. telling you the disc is dragging. It mist not.

first fails because both ends of box are stalled, the rear is normal, do to wheels on ground,
if you can not get 1st all ways stated above then the extension housing is bad.
if not bad, then shift rails next, then forks, then gears. (easy to harder)
i have fixed boxes where the forks are almost welded (heat) to the synrcho collars. and just hates to be shifted.
i keep an open mind, and lit my tests, find the truth, (like peeling an onion) deeper you go , more tears. LOL

ok one more
i saw a box. (suz 5sp)
the gate in the above photo , on this box found that one of the shift bars was not 100% relaxed in neutral.
it was because of the bad shifter plastics, allowed the shifter tip to go to the next gate and left the last gate partially engaged.
easy fix.
move all 3 gates in parallel, perfectly then install the shifter, after words, no issues ever again.

in neutral if the gage is not 100% square (rectangle actually) its WRONG.
http://www.fixkick.com
Checked clutch cable, 1" rule applied, cable locked in place. Transfer in neutral, no shift in to 1st or second. After looking at picture of extension box removed am thinking the shift gate was not lined up ie: not in neutral when I pulled the shifter. if this were the case wouldn't the 1st-2nd rail be forward, not allowing the shifter ball to catch the gate ? Just to clarify you need to drop the crossmember and tailshaft down to access the 2 front bolts of the the extension to enable removal and inspection. Thanks
yes , getting to the rails , in that photo, does take actions. yes, dropping tail a bit. but is way less than 10 hrs labor, more like 1.

the gate must default to "Rectangle" if not , all bets off.
the plastic part , when good, does in fact insure that.
when bad, the tip of the shift lever can in fact leave the gate set WRONG , on exit.
so can assembling the top shifter, with it set wrong.

this is easy, remove the shifter , lever.
set the gate to default (a box)
xfr case to neutral, for less reverse bias torque effects. to rear axle.

shift what you see there by hand (a large screw driver on right side fork, attempt to put the shift rod in 1st (slide it to rear) with the clutch pushed to floor, It must shift.
if it cant do that, the tranny has issues. (we know the clutch for sure is disengaged , so....)

if the extension housing removed, shows good shifting (the box wrench test) than the shift extension housing is bad.
all under 1hr labor.
Ive seen folks pull tranny for bad clutch cables about 10 times, so.....

my guess, is the shifter was installed with gate wrong, was it?
sorry if was.

see pitfall 2

http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/5speed-rebuild.html#Test
You guessed correctly. Somehow had the gates off when installing shifter. After seeing that everything shifted correctly with the housing removed lined up the gates and reinstalled. Everything now working as it should be. Thanks for all the help and advice. Wish I would have known about this site prior to starting this project. It would have saved me a lot of time and headaches.

You guessed correctly. Pulled the extension housing and confirmed shifting using your method. Lined up gates, reinstalled housing and everything now working properly. Thanks again for all the help and advice. Wish I had found this site prior to starting this project, would have saved me a lot of time and headaches.
great, no hard job. Im so happy for you , !!!
Im also happy i could help out, and save you some grief.!

happy trails !