Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
REAR DIFF. LOCKERS FOR 1997 VITARA
mud, that says it all. really (open axles mostly useless here, so..)
but not sure your question?
gearing ? (ratios) and locks really this is
or quality of parts? (quality varies in time, in time , quality of any product can vary, and QC on gears is a tricky business (hardening tests, rockwell)
if the above is good, the life of the gears/lock will be good.
the person doing the work, installing all parts in the carriers, I'd bet this tops the most important, step for a long lasting carrier.
it can't just be throw together,,, not that ring and pinion. the carrier must be removed from the axle housing after axles out.
then the carrier is totally dismantled, and all calibrations of gear sets are lost... (the labor will be more than parts, if done right, (usa prices are not cheap )

better, in what way?
1510-LR would work good for this purpose or the 1532-LR

first to consider is what it does, it ends the side/spider gear actions, differential actions are now off line.
it forms now a slip ratchet plate that is locked up even on pavement, until you turn the car, and then those huge forces, cause the ratchet to break free
in turns, and annoying sound and it does.
It is not like real; LSD at all. it is a very crude device.. this.
this will be super dangerous on ice, if you drive car on ice or show this will be a doom thing. (skid it will, it cant help it)
id never use such a device on the pavement, ever. ID buy locker that I can command from the cab. ON,OFF,
the front axle is no problem in 2wd, if the hub lucks are, turned to unlock. but is a problem, in 4wd both end , on the iced up road.

watch out for reading opinions on the web, some never seen ice in there whole life....

http://www2.izook.com/?page_id=277

unlike real jeeps, there are not a lot of choices on lockers on underdog suzuki's (and will get worse as they stopped selling them in N.America)
LSD (real) (may not hold up well under heavy off road usage after all. it is a clutch)
Eaton centrifugal locker, (like my chev truck had) nICE!
electric locks. (best of best, and you get what you pay for......)
sold permanent locks, (never slips)
ratchet locks, (yours )
pure open diff, (stock) tire with least traction slips, unless you learn to drag brakes.(grin)
or a smart PCM brain, like my new JK jeep has, the brain, modulates the ABS to do the drag brake trick to make open axles, to not slip. (magic)

best has many parameters!
quality (lasts ,???? varies by who made them and when.. and QC done, if any at all. )
safety on and off road?
works on ice. good luck there,,,,,
lasts (on the road, i bet this is bad for the ratchets, no?)
easy to install (none are)
resale-ability, (try to explain to person selling to (not a rock crawler guy) how noise is ok turning on pavement. hummmmmm , a lost sale....
easy to use
works in mud. ,sand, ice, snow, dirt, gravel, and pavement)
noises ? that wife dont like driving to Church?

complex topic, cars can be driven on vast places on earth ,not one car made does that well.
zero.
there will be compromises and safety issues, for sure.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
REAR DIFF. LOCKERS FOR 1997 VITARA - by SrgBog - 06-15-2016, 07:29 AM
RE: REAR DIFF. LOCKERS FOR 1997 VITARA - by fixkick - 07-05-2016, 10:49 PM