Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Timing question
yes belts fail for
setting any tension, here.
twisting it inside out can, wreck it, (keep kids away and dog)
it really is not a tension!!
its on loose, my guess is that dinky spring ,nets out at 1 pound pressure? but Id bet the cam bias is the final say on set tension all 16v
the cams are live , in the setup full lash spec too..

so what is that spring really doing on belt ? easy
just keeping out all slack , nothing else !!
what it does is get that roller set so there is no looseness on the LEFT (facing belt) side.
calling it a tension'ing step is not really accurate wording (maybe there is none)
free clearance reduction step, sure.

this fact is why most engines now with VVT (J20bSmile all have chains, no more cam jogging.
many tried and failed.
http://www.fixkick.com
Yes, you are correct, they can order a head from the US but... you know... corruption, politics, all that stuff going on, and the locals want to sell a "scrapyard" head for the price of a used car here, is nuts.

Well, currently I am at 2º no vacuum, almost 10º vacuum at idle, and 12º from 1000 to 2400rpm (checked with timing light), pretty flat timing curve, and I tested it just a few minutes ago...

And it works Big Grin, using 91 octance fuel of course (we only sell 91, 95 and diesel, no ethanol stuff), and boy I had my heart in my throat when I floored that car, and I literally cried with joy, I mean, no more pinging Big Grin, crazy I know, the temperature was below normal all across the rpms and the engine felt great like ever before. Even on cold start it sounded and felt different.

You can call that a 3 point shot in the dark and scoring in the last 5 secs of the basketball game Big Grin
Suzuki Swift 1995
Carbureted with a Weber 32/36
G16 16v 1.6L (I know, rare)
Automatic F3A
Lots of miles and running great, some ticking but still :cool:
if you stopped the ping ,only that matters.
gas is cheap.
super cheap, (actually same er less than 1970 in LA oil fields ) (my fav gas station had crude oil pump there, and still does)
$1.95/gal here, near 4 liters.
cheap
reverse calc, inflation is 19cents/ga is cheaper now.
all that matters is world price per barrel (42ga). but usa gets 1/2 price on that from CANADA (nafta treaty deal ,sweet)
mpg does not matter,
in fact my town is riddled with oil wells, oil and NG.

btw to quote the top fuel guys, on dyno tuning turbos
its the knock that you can't here , is the killer.
they use sonic detectors to find it.

I think you did the impossible getting weber to work here.
way to go.
I forgot to say
to end ping, has many ways,,, for sure super high, CR. (shaved to the max)
sure retarded timing,
or run the carb richer. AND ADD Advance. a bit.

in fact will make max power at 12;1 AFR (AIR FUEL RATIO) about there.
this burns a tad more fuel,makes more power and CR higher is the cheapest way to get more horsepower. (matching fuel octane)

the high speed jets do that in the weber.

a rich mix, burns slower and cooler and no ping. (ping happens at max load, and max burn temperatures, it actually detonates(knock))
a WORKING EGR cures it too.

just in case it comes back
not withstanding high octane fuel.