Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to Know About Bypassing the Fuel Pump Relay to a Manual Toggle Switch
89 Manual Kick, 4x4, JX 1.6 ltr 8 valve USA

Hi Kick, good to see ya again. Smile

Okay, lots has happened to Jr since you helped me the last time; a few years ago on the other forum. Undecided

Over the last 2 years, I replaced the Oxy sensor, put in a new PCV Valve, New Radiator, New timing belt and kit, New front engine seal, New valve stem seals. Jr has always burned oil on cold start up, and I wanted to cure the issue with the valve stem seals.

Since the mechanic did this, Jr has still smoked, in fact worse than ever, and he never tightened the valves once they were adjusted, with the lock nuts, so while I was driving, the valves all backed off, and I barely made it home from a trip a ways away from home.

Then the front pulley broke off (harmonic balancer)

A different mechanic replaced the pulley, had to rebuild a new key for the pulley, installed another new timing belt and kit, fixed the valve clearances, and got me back on the road. At that time, Jr's compression was not too good... I think it was all between 115 and 120 between them all, but even with those compressions, Jr has been running fine; except for the start up smoking. I guess the valve stem seals never seated.

2 weeks ago, the heaving smoking at start up suddenly went down to a bare minimum, and I was thrilled! (Yes, the Oil is topped up fine, and in fact I'm running synthetic now)

Then a couple days later, I took a drive up one of the mountains here, and filled up my gas tank before the climb. Suddenly I lost a LOT of power going up the grades; often had to shift down to 2nd or even 1st, just to make it up (should have been able to make it up those grades in 3rd) It was NOT off road; just up a highway here that crosses a peak.

When I got the bottom side of the mountain, I stopped to make a call and had a hard time starting Jr again. He finally started, just before my battery was about to die out, so I drove home, stopping (leaving Jr running) along the way, to get some fuel cleaner, thinking I must have gotten some bad gas on the other side of the mountain, when I filled up.

Since then, I was able to start Jr 3 or 4 times again, (having problems though, getting him started each time) to run to the store and back; and now he will not start at all. I have to charge my battery back up once the rain stops here, as it went down while trying to start Jr. the last time.

And this is where I am at now. Thinking it may be the fuel pump relay... because it seems no fuel is getting to the injectors to spark. Engine turns over fine, but no start.

Messages In This Thread
HOW TO WIRE A FRANKEN-KICKTOR. - by fixkick - 05-06-2013, 10:54 AM
RE: Need to Know About Bypassing the Fuel Pump Relay to a Manual Toggle Switch - by YemayasMoon - 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
FRANKEN-KICKTOR - by fixkick - 05-07-2013, 01:07 AM
Franken_KickTOR, fueling ,etc. - by fixkick - 05-12-2013, 03:11 AM
the Franken-KickTOR ! - by fixkick - 05-12-2013, 10:47 PM
RE: the Franken-KickTOR ! - by YemayasMoon - 05-13-2013, 02:54 AM