Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant loss
Anybody had a problem with coolant loss through the gasket between throttle body and intake? I have a 92 8valve and still seem to be losing coolant after replacing head gasket and intake to head gasket and having head reworked and pressure tested. Compression is ok at around 150 to 160 on all cylinders. No external leaks but the exhaust steams off and on when the engine is hot. The engine runs good and idles good most of the time. It will idle rough momentarily, but then smooth out. Any ideas?
Thanks, Greg
(01-05-2020, 10:28 AM)GFO4501 Wrote: Anybody had a problem with coolant loss through the gasket between throttle body and intake? I have a 92 8valve and still seem to be losing coolant after replacing head gasket and intake to head gasket and having head reworked and pressure tested. Compression is ok at around 150 to 160 on all cylinders. No external leaks but the exhaust steams off and on when the engine is hot. The engine runs good and idles good most of the time. It will idle rough momentarily, but then smooth out. Any ideas?
Thanks, Greg

the loop can leak anywhere, but if it lands in the exhaust ,  and not to the ground.
sure bad gaskets.
was the head checked for warp, and block deck.?
when did it last no leak?
white head off, no cracks seen in the cylinder walls?
seems it all pressure tested so should be good. leaving only warps and gaskets.
http://www.fixkick.com
(01-05-2020, 09:50 PM)fixkick Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 10:28 AM)GFO4501 Wrote: Anybody had a problem with coolant loss through the gasket between throttle body and intake? I have a 92 8valve and still seem to be losing coolant after replacing head gasket and intake to head gasket and having head reworked and pressure tested. Compression is ok at around 150 to 160 on all cylinders. No external leaks but the exhaust steams off and on when the engine is hot. The engine runs good and idles good most of the time. It will idle rough momentarily, but then smooth out. Any ideas?
Thanks, Greg

the loop can leak anywhere, but if it lands in the exhaust ,  and not to the ground.
sure bad gaskets.
(01-05-2020, 11:07 PM)GFO4501 Wrote:
Thanks, Greg

sure bad gaskets.
I checked the top of the block with a straight edge and also used a dye penetrant to check for cracks. Cylinder walls looked good. Intake gasket surface was flat and head was machined flat. I thought the throttle body gasket may be leaking. Thanks, Greg
(01-05-2020, 11:16 PM)GFO4501 Wrote:
Thanks, Greg

sure bad gaskets.
I checked the top of the block with a straight edge and also used a dye penetrant to check for cracks. Cylinder walls looked good. Intake gasket surface was flat and head was machined flat. I thought the throttle body gasket may be leaking. Thanks, Greg
so the RAD bottle is going low each day?
well that is the only gasket and the intake man gaskets that do mix air and water (and must not
the 3speed A/T tranny is the worse on any 8v, TB has  2 gaskets on this beast.  and heater there.  the hole to water is not close.

see all views of TB here and gaskets at the end.8v

https://fixkick.com/IDLE-AIR/Slide_Show/...ge_16.html
http://www.fixkick.com
(01-06-2020, 02:16 AM)fixkick Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 11:16 PM)GFO4501 Wrote:
Thanks, Greg

sure bad gaskets.
so the RAD bottle is going low each day?
well that is the only gasket and the intake man gaskets that do mix air and water (and must not
the 3speed A/T tranny is the worse on any 8v, TB has  2 gaskets on this beast.  and heater there.  the hole to water is not close.

see all views of TB here and gaskets at the end.8v

https://fixkick.com/IDLE-AIR/Slide_Show/...ge_16.html
Thanks, I’ll investigate this angle a little further.  Greg