Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lift pros/cons of body v suspension
I have a '93 sidekick with the 16v engine.
I live 20 miles west of Tombstone, AZ and intend to use this vehicle for dirt road mountain driving. 
I'll use my Samurai for more aggressive off-road use.

I'd like to change to a slightly larger tire size and thus desire a little 2" lift. I am thinking 225/75r15 all terrain tires so I can use the 8" wide wheels I already have from a Samurai. I am trying to avoid having to regear the sidekick, I want to retain good road speed.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a body versus a suspension lift?
2" lift spacers is your cheapest option. should be under 100$ for a set.
225/75 with 8inch rims is asking for fender trimming i believe.
215/80 on 6/6.5" rims along with the 2" suspension lift is your best bet IMO.
Vitara 1998, 1.6L/16v, 5door, 5speed, G16BS.
Body lift might keep your vehicle weight closer to the ground and be more stable. Can you do a "virtual lift" on the kicks? By this, I mean, cut the fender wells for clearance?
(01-05-2020, 05:27 AM)Jules Wrote: Body lift might keep your vehicle weight closer to the ground and be more stable. Can you do a "virtual lift" on the kicks? By this, I mean, cut the fender wells for clearance?

Personally I will not cut the fender. 

This vehicle has sat for a number of years, at least 6. The previous owner couldn't get it running. I pulled the gas tank and de-rusted it, then coated it, installed new pump and the vehicle fired and seemed to run well. The fuel hose off the pump was cracked so fuel pressure was very low.

I will complete the deferred maintenance repairs at hand; timing set, front seals, adjust valves, replace hoses and belts, change all fluids, replace brakes, new A/C receiver/drier, etc. 

Once I am confident of the units reliability, I'll try the 215/75 tires that are on it now and then decide if I need to raise the vehicle. 
My use if on-road and dirt road / light trail driving. 
I do like the idea of replacing the alloy 15" Eagle wheels with steel wheels and 80 series tires.