Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EGR deleted?
hi all,

i have a 1998 vitara/sidekick (santana made), 16v/1.6L/5door/g16b.

EGR system looks exactly like this:
[Image: up-port-clean2a.jpg]

fact: EGR valve works and is clean.

fun fact: inside the plenum (throttle body removed) there seems that somebody (PO maybe or crazy mechanic?) has welded a 'triangle' patch exactly where the EGR gasses are fed into the plenum (again, inside). effectively, EGR is pretty much deleted. vehicle runs perfectly. should i bother drilling a hole or not?

ps: i know i should have taken a picture. i disassembled everything for cleaning last night. idle jumped 400rpm by cleaning the (carbonated) throttle plate and the idle screw... (then readjusted to 850rpm hot).
Vitara 1998, 1.6L/16v, 5door, 5speed, G16BS.
(12-17-2019, 04:27 AM)kthnos Wrote: hi all,

i have a 1998 vitara/sidekick (santana made), 16v/1.6L/5door/g16b.

EGR system looks exactly like this:
[Image: up-port-clean2a.jpg]

fact: EGR valve works and is clean.

fun fact: inside the plenum (throttle body removed) there seems that somebody (PO maybe or crazy mechanic?) has welded a 'triangle' patch exactly where the EGR gasses are fed into the plenum (again, inside). effectively, EGR is pretty much deleted. vehicle runs perfectly. should i bother drilling a hole or not?

ps: i know i should have taken a picture. i disassembled everything for cleaning last night. idle jumped 400rpm by cleaning the (carbonated) throttle plate and the idle screw... (then readjusted to 850rpm hot).
http://www.fixkick.com
OK the santana factory does use there own ECU, and has no EGR tests, , now we know, (all USA cars do, every one back to 1989 SUZ)

it will fail any smog check( if is bad)
the EGR cures NOX , pollution 50% and the CAT gets the remainder.
the EGR also lowers exh. temps and the exhaust valves last longer. and a tad , 1mpg more mpg(fuel economy.
and CEL Lamp glowing for ever, and P0400 USA, and in EU 51 codes for ever. but not on a SANTANA we now know. ( many cars world wide have no EGR tests we do know that)

I know exactly what he welded, silly to do really just all metal gasket where you pulled pipe ID 50 there. ends EGR. or putting a BB in the far rear EGR main vacuum line.(heheheeh)
I call this the EGR mono port. (way better than any 95 quad port seen USA)
wow nice condition engine there, real nice. ooops that be MY car in your photo, WOW ,a BLAST from the PAST , thanks !

thanks so much for sharing SANTANA factory cars !!!
merry Christmas too.
(12-17-2019, 08:07 AM)fixkick Wrote: it will fail any smog check and some states, the seller must pass that first to sell the car (CALIF?) (nice inspection work)
the EGR also lowers exh. temps and the exhaust valves last longer. and 1mpg more mpg.
and CEL Lamp glowing for ever, and P0400 codes for ever.

I know exactly what he welded, silly to do really just all metal gasket where you pulled pipe ID 50 there. ends EGR. or putting a BB in the far rear EGR main vacuum line.(heheheeh)
I call this the EGR mono port.
wow nice condition engine there, real nice. ooops that be MY car in your photo, WOW ,a BLAST from the PAST , thinks !

thing is, smog tests score quite well on each and every test (i live in europe, greece).
no CEL glow, no codes (yes, CEL lamp works, DLC jumper reveals 12 -normal with no issues).
santana made vehicle (maybe different software or what?)

no metal (or non-metal for that matter) gasket on pipe50. it actually has a gasket but its the factory/proper one. no blocking there.
block/weld is from the INSIDE of the plenum (which makes me thinking why would every someone would/could do that in such a confined space, since the only real access is a few inches worth of diameter of the throttle assembly.

should i drill a hole or not?
fixkick are you here?
yes ME just slow today. (well all the time at 71yo)
yes the santana. sorry but that is SUZ OBD1 rules.
yes the Santana ECU has some quirks, funny fast idle modes, nobody understands,.
yes, many countries do in fact DO NOT HAVE THE EGR CHECK. so now we know your is just like that, so drive and be happy !?
code 51 is not checked in your we see that on Canada cars to here, (me USA , texas , view point)
change your signature to Santana Vitara. be good for you !
[quote pid='12440' dateline='1576549578']

thing is, smog tests score quite well on each and every test (i live in europe, greece).
no CEL glow, no codes (yes, CEL lamp works, DLC jumper reveals 12 -normal with no issues).
santana made vehicle (maybe different software or what?)

no metal (or non-metal for that matter) gasket on pipe50. it actually has a gasket but its the factory/proper one. no blocking there.
block/weld is from the INSIDE of the plenum (which makes me thinking why would every someone would/could do that in such a confined space, since the only real access is a few inches worth of diameter of the throttle assembly.

should i drill a hole or not?
[/quote]

answer, if you want to lower NOX world wide,  yes,
it is only a question about that.
in the City NOX is super nasty for sure sitting at a red lightl  windows down.
but if the CAT is good it eats up the NOX
the due to EGR failure the CAT (called  3 way cat the 3rd way for NOX parts of CAT go bad faster)
so it is question of CAT life here,
if not a TWC three way cat, as seen in some countries then NOX is there now, and is bad and stinking NOX spewed out the tail pipe. I wonder if the weld plate is factory done,, are all other egr parts there, there are many.

some cars sold here in the south pacific , island have no smog at all , SUZUKI JDM cars, devoid of smog, controls, no cat, no egr, nada.
in short, drilling a hole will affect emissions (positively), gas mileage (positively) and engine power at partial throttle (negatively) ? do i get this right?

ps: 71yo? wow, i thought you were at low 50ies...
no negative at all. ?
the EGR goes off line , at WOT and at hard throttle pedal push , so only effects cruising fast.
off line at idle.
off line at zero MPH (0 KPH)
it outputs vary by engine load, max load (not wot) is max flow EGR> and lowers temps and ends PING/detonation and exhaust valves love you, (cooler.)
it seems evil at first but only (cost of service yes ,higher, mostly clean main valve and the mono port carbon pack ups)
Limiting power would be unsafe, imagine passing a logging truck.... and power lacks, oops. bad idea if on purpose they did that.
the engine for sure does 95HP on demand. (Sorry for imperial measurements, I like metric too) (even variable displacement engines have full power)
(12-21-2019, 02:24 AM)fixkick Wrote: no negative at all. ?
the EGR goes off line , at WOT and at hard throttle pedal push , so  only effects cruising fast.
off line at idle.
off line at zero MPH (0 KPH)
it outputs vary by engine load, max load (not wot) is max flow EGR> and lowers temps and ends PING/detonation and exhaust valves love you, (cooler.)
it seems evil at first but only (cost of service yes ,higher, mostly clean main valve and the mono port carbon pack ups)
Limiting power would be unsafe, imagine passing a logging truck.... and power lacks,  oops. bad idea if on purpose they did that.
the engine for sure does 95HP on demand. (Sorry for imperial measurements, I like metric  too)  (even variable displacement engines have full power)

i thought EGR gasses are inert (in terms of ignition and thus, power), therefore act pretty much as 'simulating variable displacement' status.
so all in all,shall i pressume that you vote on drilling out that EGR plenum hole?