Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2-door VS 4-door fuel tanks
I have a '93 4-door that has a rusty fuel tank.
My searches for fuel tanks shows a difference between 2-door and 4-door Sidekick.
What are the differences?
they are not the same.
use the ecatalogs at spectra premium, to learn this. best tanks made, and with no rust coatings inside.
the fuel pump rack too is not the same and more. lots more, vents, etc.
the tank is deeper on the 4door , and the more heavy car uses more fuel so a larger tank was used.
the car came in 2door, 4door, 2wd/4wd and 2 engine., in 1993
and about 3000 parts some same some not, huge list not the same, nobody makes.
the suzuki stupidly called both engines code 0 in the VIN (GM fixed that with U and 6 code, 6 is 16v, U is 8valve)
make buying parts super hard.

here is a top tank maker.
https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/parts-re...7EL4%7E1.6
http://www.fixkick.com
no engine stated by you, BTW,
sorry the suzuki Parts list are by ENGINE first after year and model.
Suzuki sidekick , 1993, 4door, x wheel drive, 16valve? ?
lots of differences, over 10. seen in the parts list.
pump, rack, vents, even the fuel sensor gauge sensor float diffr.
and 95 changed radially for smog rules (EVAP laws usa0
92 to 94, 4door is what you want, all tank sellers know this.
are you buying a new tank or crawling thru wrecking yards, like I did in youth.
all new tank seller know this, so I can only assume the latter,
also all top wreckers have this neat software that runs on line and does the match, effortlessly.
the differences are 2 fold, gallons , fit and smog rules, called EVAP laws.
most of these stock tanks rust through the top. (top down)
spec, specta
GM54A (p/n)
Size 31 x 17 x 10
US Gallon 14.5
Liter 55.0
Kit LO38 (Included)
Comments W/ PAN IN TANK

9 sellers in town here. O'Riellys, has it;.
OK, here is what I found;
The tanks differ in the front to back distance between the mounting points.
The OE 4-door tank is about 2.5" further apart than an aftermarket 2-door tank.
The side to side mounting holes are the same for 2 and 4 door models.
One could mount a 2-door tank by removing the front tank crossmember. adding flanges to either end, and welding or bolting it in place a little farther back on the frame. this would cause a loss of 2 gallons fuel capacity. The skid plate remains intact.
The 4-door tank's fuel sending unit hole has a different bolt pattern than the 2-door tank hole.

I didn't look into emissions as I live near Tombstone, AZ which is an emissions attainment area and thus has no emissions requirements.

I ended up reusing the tank by first removing the rust then applying a chemical tank liner.
I followed this process:
1) used pressurized water to wash out as much crap as I could.
2) removed all the attachments from the fuel pump rack, capped the tubes with rubber plugs, then reinstalled the rack to the tank.
3) plugged all other openings to the tank except the fuel sending unit opening.
4) added 3 gallons of water to the tank followed by 6 gallons of swimming pool muriatic acid, bought at the local big box home store, then filled the tank completely with water.
5) covered the fuel level sending unit hole with a rock to keep birds away and let the tank sit, full of diluted muriatic acid for 24 hours.
6) drained the tank and properly disposed of the contents.
7) rinsed the tank with freshwater very well.
8) added a mixture of baking soda and water to the tank and repeated the rinse process.
9) After I was confident that the tank was fully neutralized, I used my gas leaf blower to fully dry the tank. I processed the fuel pump rack separately.
10) reinstalled the fuel pump rack, replugged all openings and applied Red Kote fuel tank sealant per can directions.
11) rebuilt fuel pump rack with new pump, SAE30R10 submersible fuel hose, stainless fuel injection hose clamps, new PVC insulated wire, and new rack to tank gaskets.
12) disassembled the fuel sending unit and removed all rust with soda blaster, cleaned the rheostat with alcohol and assembled/installed using new sending unit to tank gasket.
13) used new 1/4" fuel line for top of tank to steel fuel lines, reused the fuel filler hose.

Everything worked real well, for a total process cost of about $80.