Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1992-1995 TPS Sidekick frustration
About 2 years ago I got a new TPS for my '93 Sidekick.  The darn thing is already bad (confirmed). Tested with ohmmeter.  Loses continuity at a certain point.  I "fixed" it temporarily by drilling a small hole and injecting solvent/oil.  That was more of a test than a fix, and I knew it.

But I'm frustrated to no end by a couple things ... one is that the '96 TPS is $44 and the one I need ('92-'95) is $144.  WHY???

And what's up with Partsgeek shipping?  Because I live in AK, they want to charge me $24 for 2nd day?  I ship a lot of things, to and from here, and that particular part would cost about $4 First Class, and would get here FASTER than the UPS or Fedex they want to use.  Geez.  

SO ... what happens if I use a 1996 TPS?

Found one on ebay ("refurbished" hahaha) for $15.

Since I know the cheapo things are gonna break again in 2 years .. besides, the engine in this 'kick is on its last legs.  It's definitely worn out.  Not worth spending more money on.  

Cheers!
(12-03-2019, 09:00 AM)Mizamook Wrote: About 2 years ago I got a new TPS for my '93 Sidekick.  The darn thing is already bad (confirmed). Tested with ohmmeter.  Loses continuity at a certain point.  I "fixed" it temporarily by drilling a small hole and injecting solvent/oil.  That was more of a test than a fix, and I knew it.

But I'm frustrated to no end by a couple things ... one is that the '96 TPS is $44 and the one I need ('92-'95) is $144.  WHY???

And what's up with Partsgeek shipping?  Because I live in AK, they want to charge me $24 for 2nd day?  I ship a lot of things, to and from here, and that particular part would cost about $4 First Class, and would get here FASTER than the UPS or Fedex they want to use.  Geez.  

SO ... what happens if I use a 1996 TPS?

Found one on ebay ("refurbished" hahaha) for $15.

Since I know the cheapo things are gonna break again in 2 years .. besides, the engine in this 'kick is on its last legs.  It's definitely worn out.  Not worth spending more money on.  

Cheers!
you posted with no engine stated  16valve or 8valve,  MPI or TBI?  MPI has 4 injectors, TBI has 1. 16valves casted in to valve cover for ever.

those are not suzuki parts, i bet, the are aftermarket, and each maker changes any thing they want
the refurb for 15 is just dust off part,
the 95 and 96 parts are not the same,
the 96 changed mid year, with all new smaller size. so not only does it not fit the TB but not the connector either.
see this, page on TPS it tells you all 3 are different and 8v engine different again that is 4 different parts.

https://fixkick.com/buy-parts

13420-58B00 92-95′ USA only. 

that is the only part that works a real suzuki part, unless you can find the 95 GEO part,16v.
sorry but the are not the same part.
but some folks swap  TB, so measure it first is first.

see my SMP part numbers all 3 for 16v?  those are real.
many makers of the TPS stop making them and that drivers prices up like mad (laws of supply and demand)

you asked why, nobody knows, but let me guess, THE makers of TPS back in 1995 (Mitsubishi?),  told suzuki they ending production on the part. so the TB or harness need to be changed for the new part, 1995 to 1996 3 changes,  they work the same but are not the same fit wise.
all this is old history , the payers retired  or dead now so does no matter now.

some TPS sold long ago, not from SUZ were pure junk,   the SMP TH-437 (16v) is good, as is NTK, (made by NGK spark plug makers)

the TH -147 only fits the 8v engine 91 to 95. only that.

on old cars , best is to find all makers of it , SUzuki will be 2nd unborn male child,  and the the correct part number from THERE catalogs then google shear that.
16v google,  SMP,  TH437.

prices today are crazy,  and parts sourcing drops, good luck finding alternates,  not easy now.
http://www.fixkick.com
Oops, sorry, it's 16v, pretty sure 1 injector per cylinder.  93 JX model

Thanks for the info ... it's pretty much confirmed for me that doing anything other than rustling up the old part (I'm so glad I saved it!) and avoiding spending money on this vehicle is the right thing to do.

At least the old TPS does not have the obvious dead spot.  I'll clear the codes and see if I can get better than 10mpg (at one point it was 24, which was why we bought it).  We now live in a location where we can only drive 5 miles or so ... not even that, really, just twice a week.  Very hard on any internal combustion engine.  

The tires on it are worth more than the car, but luckily they will work for my VW.

This Sidekick is the perfect car to leave unattended in a parking lot while taking the boat out for weeks.