Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Code for Sidekick Sport
After solving the TPS code that generating several other codes, my 96' Sidekick Sport has only one code P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Control. Any ideas???
(08-10-2019, 07:40 PM)rasmeidirt Wrote: After solving the TPS code that generating several other codes, my 96' Sidekick Sport has only one code P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Control. Any ideas???

the thermostat is bad.
it means , the thermostat reads wrong (ECT readings does that) and reads low or is very old and sluggish acting. it is bad.

how many  miles on this car.?
did you know some codes do not set, until you have 2 or 3 driving cycles,  so that means if you reset them,(it's ok to do that) you get to thinking all is good. until say, cycle 3.
the FSM covers each DTC error and shows what rules for each one, and the driving cycle rule.

also of the thermostat is bad, the poor ECU/PCM might not even trip 1 driving cycle, due to a cycle is 1 start and full warm up. The FSM on your car on the page that defines a trip states, thermostat must go past 160F or no trip happens.
so that means this must repair first or the PCM will hide lots of other failures, ok?

the new thermostat must  be installed
wax pellet base, inward to pump housing.
bleed hole up.
and must have the rubber surround ring (O-ring like) fitted correctly (the stat sharp edge its in the rubber ring slot)
http://www.fixkick.com
(08-10-2019, 09:23 PM)fixkick Wrote:
(08-10-2019, 07:40 PM)rasmeidirt Wrote: After solving the TPS code that generating several other codes, my 96' Sidekick Sport has only one code P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Control. Any ideas???

the thermostat is bad.
it means , the thermostat reads wrong (ECT readings does that) and reads low or is very old and sluggish acting. it is bad.

did you know some codes do not set, until you have 2 or 3 driving cycles,  so that means if you reset them,(it's ok to do that) you get to thinking all is good. until say, cycle 3.
the FSM covers each DTC error and shows what rules for each one, and the driving cycle rule.

also of the thermostat is bad, the poor ECU/PCM might not even trip 1 driving cycle, due to a cycle is 1 start and full warm up. The FSM on your car on the page that defines a trip states, thermostat must go past 160F or no trip  happens.
so that means this must repair first or the PCM will hide lots of other failures, ok?

bleed hole up.
and must have the rubber surround ring (O-ring like) fitted correctly (the stat sharp edge its in the rubber ring slot)

Thanks. It is already 100... Do you think the ones on rockauto.com fit the Sport??? In the scan tool it reads 194F full hot!.
Where to post pics???
(08-10-2019, 11:22 PM)rasmeidirt Wrote:

the thermostat is bad.

also of the thermostat is bad, the poor ECU/PCM might not even trip 1 driving cycle, due to a cycle is 1 start and full warm up. The FSM on your car on the page that defines a trip states, thermostat must go past 160F or no trip  happens.

bleed hole up.

Thanks. It is already 100... Do you think the ones on rockauto.com fit the Sport??? In the scan tool it reads 194F full hot!.
Where to post pics???

do not put G16 parts in any J18 engine, OK
buy J18 parts only,  sport 1.8L DOHC engines are not 1.6L SOHC  engines.

ive no idea what car you have nor engine, (for sure)

did you know old thermostats can just be slow, and get 125?  and is the death throws that,   slow because dead soon. and then burn up engine, why tempt fate like that.?
the other problem is with putting in any thermostat  on any 1996 up engine
and leaving off the rubber surround ring,
lets say (I cant see your cars thermostat now how it was installed wrong) but if you got the bad idea to
1: buy the wrong thermostat.
2: bought a 1992 STAT for G16 (has no rubber ring) and put that in the STAT pocket, guess what the thermostat now floats, and temperatures now random.

the intake manifold changed in 1992 to 1964 and using early stats is 100% wrong.
the J18  is reverse flow stat and if you use G16 stat that is the wrong stat for you j18 engine, for sure, in fact double wrong, if 1992 stat.

https://fixkick.com/Cooling-engine/Frigi...r-cab.html

lets talk buying pasts
 more stores, for sure  ROCK
mix parts, the mix parts from wrong year to your year,
and mix parts from j18 and G16 in a toxic soup.
very few stores get this right.
so if you were savvy and see a stat there,  and is made by say, SMP or any top maker why not just got to top makers page, open the online catalog and double check
that the part is in fact for 1996 J18.

all top makers of parts now have eCATALOGs,  i never fail to check , for sure MAIL Ordering parts.

just one 5  minute look at real catalogs saves you 3 ways shipping and long long delays,  why not do that?

im looking there at ROCK,  lots of wrong stats there, and missing the gasket ring on many.
and 160f stat that would be a travesty used that POS. horrid waste of fuel and damage to the CAT.
most sell the seal separately,,  and some have custom seal, not OEM like at all. (Aisin)
Gates and Stant I like but both need 2 parts,  the STAT and the seal.
the rock seal page is here ,
STANT 25281 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Thermostat Seal

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/suzu...+seal,2136

good luck with your car,  buying parts is not easy long distance purchases, for sure SUZUKI's
for sure  engine parts of any kind,
(08-10-2019, 11:38 PM)fixkick Wrote:

the thermostat is bad.

bleed hole up.

Where to post pics???

did you know old thermostats can just be slow, and get 125?  and is the death throws that,   slow because dead soon. and then burn up engine, why tempt fate like that.?
lets say (I cant see your cars thermostat now how it was installed wrong) but if you got the bad idea to
2: bought a 1992 STAT for G16 (has no rubber ring) and put that in the STAT pocket, guess what the thermostat now floats, and temperatures now random.

the intake manifold changed in 1992 to 1964 and using early stats is 100% wrong.
the J18  is reverse flow stat and if you use G16 stat that is the wrong stat for you j18 engine, for sure, in fact double wrong, if 1992 stat.

lets talk buying pasts
so if you were savvy and see a stat there,  and is made by say, SMP or any top maker why not just got to top makers page, open the online catalog and double check

all top makers of parts now have eCATALOGs,  i never fail to check , for sure MAIL Ordering parts.

just one 5  minute look at real catalogs saves you 3 ways shipping and long long delays,  why not do that?

im looking there at ROCK,  lots of wrong stats there, and missing the gasket ring on many.
and 160f stat that would be a travesty used that POS. horrid waste of fuel and damage to the CAT.
most sell the seal separately,,  and some have custom seal, not OEM like at all. (Aisin)

good luck with your car,  buying parts is not easy long distance purchases, for sure SUZUKI's

Thanks. I see only this at rockauto.com 
STANT 14378 {#1767065D00} OE Type; 180 Degree 

Or I will find this Suzuki replacement thermostat 1767065D00
(08-11-2019, 12:38 PM)rasmeidirt Wrote:
(08-10-2019, 11:38 PM)fixkick Wrote:

the thermostat is bad.

bleed hole up.

Where to post pics???

lets talk buying pasts

Thanks. I see only this at rockauto.com 
STANT 14378 {#1767065D00} OE Type; 180 Degree 

Or I will find this Suzuki replacement thermostat 1767065D00
the correct part that is, but you forgot the very special seal it needs, on last line here

the ecatalog , like I told you is here,  all makers have one, (not china knockoffnonames)

the seal is https://partcat.com/stant
seal #  27281

you only see STANT at ROCK means your not in USA< you are outside, so looking for parts, shows LESS PARTS. (out side CONUS)
the J18 engine has  REVERSE flow thermostat and is not like the G16 version. at all. and uses special rubber surround seal, (becomes part of stat when done)
[Image: azNa5Ds.jpg]
GOOD LUCK !
(08-11-2019, 10:07 PM)fixkick Wrote: GOOD LUCK !

Just one more question of the seal, the rocauto.com says 25281??
The Stant website says 27281??
(08-12-2019, 07:40 PM)rasmeidirt Wrote:
(08-11-2019, 10:07 PM)fixkick Wrote: GOOD LUCK !

Just one more question of the seal, the rocauto.com says 25281??
The Stant website says 27281??

I'm not stant company. sorry
but if you'd just click the, number on that stant page, 27281
then click the tab , marked Images.  you's see this.  (call stant or email the ask why they use 2 number for one thermostat, (my wild guess, revised)

i can't just know all  VAST parts that fit here, sold world wide, there is no way for me to know that.
all I can tell you  is to :
1: buy J18 parts only. and buy make and year car...
2: from top makers.  (STANT, SMP, ACDELCO, GATES, FEL-PRO, BECK)
3: never use G16 parts in the J18 engine and for sure this REVERSE FLOW part.
4: Learn that all tops seller of car parts stores be they, brick or web, love to mix G16 and J18 parts on their pages,  and to look them up, in the aftermarkets eCATALOG first,  to be sure. for sure not living in USA and no brick stores, ok?

[Image: LegDhQU.jpg]
or call the maker Stant, email them , use their chat page, there.
ask them why the contradiction in numbers.
this contact page, Ive asked them questions before and got fast reply...

http://stant.com/index.php/english/contact-us/

I just did, now, we will see the answer. soon we hope.

my guess is simple revisions.