Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2.3 DOHC motor - correct operating temp
(08-01-2019, 01:06 AM)fixkick Wrote: so far all we know is 1 fact (besides 500cc more displacements)
is the thermostat is bad or out of control.
that is just one fact that needs to be worked,  but testing for lean sure.
scanning and logging data will prove that.

my scan tool connect so a real PC, and I can log TPS, ECT, IAT, RPM , load, MAF readings , LTFT. all at once and log over time. (and if CLosed loop fails in any way not normal)

if lean is a worry why not monitor CL and LTFT first.    if the engine overheats in CL mode, it is NOT lean. not now not ever.
the O2 sensor is your KEY ELEMENT to prove that and it knows NOTHING ABOUT DISPLACEMENT OF ENGINE.
keep in mind too the engine, at idle uses same air flow 1.8  liter as 2.3 (a tad more for inefficiency yes)
so if overheats parked, that is not any firmware MAP, parked, its not enough air flow, if the stat is good. not near enough.
that is why i wanted to do parked, for that reasons and for the safety reason, if car can be diagnosed parked,  this is safer for  you.
sure if that is fixed first , then maybe pulling loads up a huge hill , only overheats engine, but we still need to fix parked first. as we all know if that is cured first you might just luck out on the worst case, after all too, is moving fast lots more free air flow there.

I got my new stant thermostat today,   I tested it in a pan of water and it opens fully when water boiling.   In the past I have just installed them and never had a problem.   This is too important to just hope it works.    I will try to get it installed this weekend.

In the meantime I need to spend some time getting to know my scan tool to log over time to get the details you've outlined.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2.3 DOHC motor - correct operating temp - by thebanjoman - 08-01-2019, 05:19 AM