Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2.3 DOHC motor - correct operating temp
(07-27-2019, 09:58 PM)fixkick Wrote: the sensor is easy to test in a pan of water, even just 2 tests,  room temp 20C and then 80c,  using  any DMM + ohms mode.
safe and  simple and not risk to car.

the data I took on mine is here , see my charge see right columns
ignore the 2 errors I made here, (blush) 5030 and 5200 (midnight typos,,,,
https://fixkick.com/ECU/temp-sensors.html

if you look on my chart those voltages may work.  180F , if you back probe the sensor you see 0.65 volts CD , way less is and overheated engine or bad ECT.(or wrong ECT or china $5 knockoff sensors)

I pulled the ECT to test in a pan of water.    To 'plug the hole' I put the ECT from my other motor and tightened it up and let the motor run to temp.
 I got nearly the SAME results.   

To test the ECT in a pan I did the following.

Aluminum pot  
 Candy/Fryer type Thermometer that can range from 100 - 450
 Meter set on Ohms at 2K ,  My meter does't have a 1K setting. 
 Alligator clips to leads attached to the ECT.   I cut a piece of a drinking straw to use as a shield of the middle lead so clips couldn't touch.
 Suspended the ECT with a wooden spoon and a clamp to keep it off the bottom of the pan and filled water up to the top of the threads and not the plastic.

Here are my readings.  I took photos of each temp reading.

120 degrees  -   .981
  140 degrees  -   .631
  160 degrees  -   .430
  180 degrees  -   .302 
  200 degrees  -   .217
  212 - full boil  -  .188  

First of all I 

Picture you posted on IMGUR states at 

140 degrees it should be 0.584 
  176 degrees it should be 0.303 -0.326    

Would these readings be considered 'in scope' of what I should expect to see?     I think so. 

And the fact that I was getting SIMILAR readings of the ECT I have in now.

When I got the car I had a chance to pick up a known good PCM to have a spare for a decent price so I picked it up. 
   I plugged it in this weekend and rand the engine up and got the same results.  
   To me it validates the ECT readings I am getting.   

I've tried as many ways I can think of to validate the results,  multiple scanners, multiple ECTs and multiple PCMs.  All with the same results.

I have also located a few others who have done the same swap with a J23 into their Sport.   They will hook up a Scanner to their vehicles soon
   and will share their results with me.  I'm trying to get the most information I can for comparison.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2.3 DOHC motor - correct operating temp - by thebanjoman - 07-29-2019, 12:49 AM