Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2.3 DOHC motor - correct operating temp
Actually,  all parts from #13 to #19  the entire assembly is gone, the pulley assembly cracked and tossed it all into the radiator, Part of why I got the vehicle so cheap and the motor not running worth a darn so I decided the money to replace it all was better spent with the 2 electric fans, the controller, and the cake pan to make the shroud. i needed a new Radiator for the 2.3 so I went with a 'dual row' radiator instead of the single row as I believe with the larger motor I might be generating more heat.

I can't trust the temp readings of the ODBII scanner  (ODBLink LX)  I use TorquePro app as well as the app supplied from the Manufacturer and it's easily 40 -60 degrees HOTTER than expected.    Both tools show the same readings.

I have a Bosch temp gauge that will show a reading of 180 when the Scanner will show 240..   If the coolant really was that temp the vehicle would be overheating.    I even put on a new ACDelco D1858D sensor believing it was part of showing the high temps. 

The Bosch temp gauge is located in the gauge joint in the top radiator hose to measure the temps of the coolant coming out of the engine. I get my readings from 170-210 or so. The thermostat fan kicks in around 180 with the thermostat opening.

I'm showing no overheating whatsoever and no codes to show too cool.   

Right now I am getting about 18.5 MPG overall.. (adjusted properly for the larger tires and odometer of course) I know these numbers are because of the A/C running as well as the higher speeds I travel with it close to 75 ib the interstate.  

I could probably get better later in the season with the A/C off and if I dropped to 60MPH but those are the realities of how I use the vehicle.

More than anything I was curious if my temps are considered too low for optimal engine efficiency and if the lower temps might be affecting the mileage.

I'm very pleased with the build, the additional power of the 2.3 is great and I have enjoyed how it came out.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2.3 DOHC motor - correct operating temp - by thebanjoman - 07-22-2019, 02:01 AM