Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geo Tracker Transmission Whining
(07-02-2019, 11:04 AM)sina27 Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 08:54 AM)fixkick Wrote: [Image: problems1.jpg]

Thanks, fixkick - 

I'll take a look at bolt 54 (the diagram you posted is for 4WD, but its the same for my 2WD??). 
So I'll back out the bolt a turn or two while the car is idling in neutral, and give it the compass taps to see if the sound goes away?
The sound is also present when I'm in any other gear - not just neutral though. But as long as the clutch is pressed in, the sounds goes away. 
Next time I start my car I'll see if a "gentle" push quiets up the sound - and if you say it does, then that would make it the throw out bearing, correct? 

Hopefully thats the only issue.

The cluster there (7 gears(2 for REV) spins in R,N,12,3,4,5gears but only  at any time the clutch pedal is UP, (foot off the clutch pedal)
the Cluster stops only if the foot is fully depressing to the pedal (clutch not bad or dragging)
that is why I said Neutral is the best test,  (but makes noise in all gears) but in neutral all the other gears are stalled. (shaft 7 is stalled)
In neutral less parts are spinning , then if clutch if fully depressed no parts in the box are spinning,  (all these facts help find the cause) and neutral takes the case.
if  box makes noise with many gears stalled, it is not those gears or there bearings bad.
the gentle pressing of the pedal, taking up all slack in the cable, cause the clutch bell FORK to just kills the THROW OUT bearing, in most or all cases of the noise starts or  gets worse
the THROWOUT is bad (bearing)

This box is what I call a constant mess box.  all gears are in mesh with the cluster.
so there are other bearings that do spin in neutral. 20,22,47 spin when cluster spins in Neutural
Also the 5speed box there is no 4th gear at all due to the main shaft 7 and pilot shaft LOCKUP 1:1 end to end, (and cluster float free) and if noise ends in 4trh gear that speaks too.
I rebuilt my box using 2 transmissions, (suzuki has no parts for the box(or like 1 or 2 max) the bearings I reaplaced all BALL bearing.
most times the caged rollers do jot fail. (low stress on them)

the top most  failure is the bearing #3 then 27
the 2wd box has special long #7 shaft, that is all there is on 2wd, just that shaft #7 and tail housing to match.
at 4wd has no rear 2wd housing and short shaft that reached the 4wd transfer case input splines.
but none of that matters #7 due to car is parked, box 5sp is in netural,and it makes noise. shaft #7 is stalled. now.

the other secret on 5sp is Reverse. gear.
this gear in NON Synchromesh gear and is what I call the Canary gear (miners jargon) this gear is the first gear to grind or balk, if the clutch ever drags. (first to sing)
the first synro gear to fail is #2 due to huge stress if car is city car and tons of stop signals or traffic.  it wears and gets slow to shift, late shifts or balks, into 2nd.

what the other owner did, lacking receipts is anyones guess, 
one guy in Florida sent me clutch (orig from china) that look like cave men made it,  really was  joke,  with hand made and hammered out parts. 
Parts are big problem now, after market parts,  I used only Koyo and Timken bearings in mine. No china, NONAME parts, many from china are not traceable at all, no name.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by sina27 - 07-02-2019, 06:29 AM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by fixkick - 07-02-2019, 08:54 AM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by sina27 - 07-02-2019, 11:04 AM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by fixkick - 07-02-2019, 10:14 PM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by fixkick - 07-02-2019, 10:23 PM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by fixkick - 07-03-2019, 02:49 AM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by fixkick - 07-03-2019, 02:54 AM
RE: Geo Tracker Transmission Whining - by fixkick - 07-03-2019, 03:07 AM