Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geo Tracker will crank over but won't start
we call this a Field kick or found on road dead, how long was it dead. 1 day, 1 year. 1 decade...? any idea? (bad gas.)

Hello and greetings to you...!!
(09-19-2013, 11:01 PM)brandonb Wrote: Hey guys,

First off, I would like to thank the owner/maintaine of fixkick.com for the valuable information on this website. I have had 3 kicks/trackers so far and it has been invaluable in the upkeep for these vehicles. With that being said, I have seemingly come to a stop. your weclome

I bought a tracker 94 with problems from a guy last week. The tracker will crank over, but not start. Here are some observations I have made:

*Has spark, but very weak (check timing (dizzy first then cam, if the timing belt slips every 60k it does that)
*ECM does not show CEL. Have measured CEL with multimeter to be good, have also measured voltage output at ECU and no voltage out for CEL. Have replaced ECU with same part number tested good, no change
NO CEL , you mean the LAMP fails to glow , key on? if yes, this is cause by below list:
1:lamp burned out.
2: PO taped it or front lens over with black tape.
3: wires cut to same
4: 12v power to the lamp missing. this kills many other things in the speedo so will be obvious.

the FSM shows how to find a dead CEL easy, on the first page of EFI, they pull the connector that is for CEL on the ECU.
pull both (it has lever locks do not force it) and you then ground the CEL pin, then key on, and it must glow. if not the lamp or wires are cut.

very hard to diagnose any EFI system (obd1) any 94. 2dr.

*Gas gauge works and fuel pump primes on key turn
If the ECU thinks (measure) that spark is bad, the Ecu ALWAYS CUTS FUEL, THIS IS HARD LOGIC INSIDE ECU.

*Vehicle has fuel is fuel is coming to the throttle body (turned key while return line unplugged and fuel came out)
ok 8V IS TBi AND ONLY TBI HAS RETURN LINE AT THROTTLE BODY, GOOD ! ITS AN 1994 8V, ENGINES AND EFI

With these things being said, I was wondering if anyone could point me i the right direction? I am thinking maybe the ECU is not getting power, but it's a 1994 2 door automatic, and the site says spark is controlled by the ECU. Any suggestions?

sure my no start page covers all ways, over 50.
but forget that. and old cars , making assumptions, is bad. anything is possible on any car 1994, its OLD.
in order all cars (compression, spark then fuel)
PO is previous owners. or ?
1: what is the engine compression x4 ,wide open throttle. 150psi? or 80? if 80 or way low on all 4 that means the belt is slippled or keys sheared.
if unmolested by PO the causes spark to be weak too, as the rotor is now way off the mark. (to far to jump between towers on cap)

2: did you then using a timing light crank motor to see if the spark lands near 0 to 10 degrees before TDC, BTDC,? left side of scale looking at said scale?
if not, PO spun the dizzy or the timing belt slipped. and PO set spark timing to match the wrong cam timing, compounding the errors......
3. if cam is right and dizzy timed, the car will now start with test fuel, then die maybe but the test fuel test passes. (instant start in a can)
4: if you get this far, make sure the ECU is not flashing codes 41 or 42 cranking for 5seconds, with the DIAG jumper planted, in the DLC.
5: ok ECU not flashing bad codes, we then
6:look down the air horn of TB, throttle body, is the injector squirting?
yes/no.

yes,the fuel is bad.
no, injection is failing.
(if no code 41,42 and no squirting of mono injector, you then use a NOID light, ask) see why not having a good lamp is so important? <<< here.!
The ecu grounds the CEL , key on, to make it glow, it does that with a single transistor inside the ECU.
if the lamp has 12vdc in the cluster, it must glow. or its burned out. my speedo page covers the way to fix that.

all steps are here (no START)
http://www.fixkick.com/nostart.html

I SKIPPED ONE CHECK,sorry.
weak spark, did you do that at the coil there are 5 tests for spark, 1 at coil and 4 at spark plugs. (96+ diffr)
using a real sparkplug, fresh, and gapped at 0.028" or near. that. blue-white spark not orange.

let me know how you do.?
cheers.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Geo Tracker will crank over but won't start - by fixkick - 09-20-2013, 12:45 AM