Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geo Tracker will crank over but won't start
Thank you for all this info. It is a 3 speed automatic transmission. I believe that the CEL being burned out is definitely the issue. I will start tonight by checking on it then proceed with the steps you have provided. Hopefully the CEL will provide answers as to what is wrong. Thank you very much for all your help in this matter.
make sure you crank the car for 5 seconds, release the key , do not turn off , to see code 41 or 42, as some AUTO clear, KEY off and for sure all kill if battery was disconnected.
the 5 seconds, is really 8 pulses from the CMP but that depends on battery charge and air temps... (colder is slower)

ok 94 8v tracker , 2dr, 3sp. federal. with nag feature. (almost exactly like my 91 but was 5sp)(
does this car have a CAT and EGR in place? (make sure the EGR is not stuck open and the CAT if present is not melted closing off exhaust flows)
http://www.fixkick.com
Got some...news.

Pulled the dash today. CEL was not even present. Put a good bulb in. Flashed code 12.

Put in a good battery+new terminals. Fired up after some coaxing...white smoke and puffing from the radiator. Looks like I got me a head gasket job in the future.

Thanks again for all your help. Brandon
aah that;s a good trick.... yes, it will be 12s until all monitors run out. then code 51, i bet.
gosh , so sorry the steam job....
Code 51 is EGR tube, right? Had my 16v 4 door throw a code 51, I think...referenced fixkick...had the intake with the cast EGR tube. Ended up buying a used intake with the removable EGR tube and getting my buddy to put it on, runs like a top now.

If replacing head gasket, what is best way to clean code 51 while intake is off?
94 8v tracker , 2dr, 3sp. federal. (cat or not cat, that is the question)
sure clean that out. rod it out, use coat hangers, what ever, I use a 1/8 steel rope, in a drill chuck, roto-rooter style....

egr gas 3 fail technologies, exh is 1 of 3.
electric and vacuum are the other 2.
if the car has no CAT, all this is a waste, as the cat back pressure sets EGR flow rates, (a goofy way they used then for engine load, cured in 1999)
if no cat and you EGR uses a thermo probe, you can replace it with 10k ohm resistor and the test passes for ever.
The GEO and SUZ can very in 1 year.
The 94 may not have the Thermo-sensor, and may have the vacuum method that can never be fooled. I call the thermal probe the calif way. and vacuum federal.
I can say a real suzuki fed car 8v ,94, has no thermo probe. (95 has it)
iF the GM is like that, then you must fix it. or ignore it...
the way: if must. (in the correct order )

1: working cat, no not really working just not gutted out or missing. (not rodded out either) ing.
2:EGR mod, usually never fails but needs to be vacuum routed correctly. (hood sticker)'

3: the vacuum source to the MOD valve via EGR VSV, not blocked, and VSV to that not bad. or wires to VSV not bad.

4: good EGR main. it snaps shut fast, after you finger it open, and the diaphragm is not bad or ruptured.
5: then the intake EGR ports must be free
6: and last the HEAD egr pass thru hole, not packed, at rear of head to #4 exhaust port. directly to the rear of #4 exh port. is this pass thru.
After testing everything to do with the ignition, replacing brain, coil, looking over everything, all was fine and good to go, but still no spark. Come to find out it's the timing belt. Check this $40 fix first before you spend $100s on other maybe fixes!!!
yes, seems every car with one, gets ignored, and all fail over 60k miles. but lucky no damage.
the first clue (besides runs bad or not at all) is spark timing is now way retarded.... then someone racks the distributor back and hides this prime evidence.....
thanks for the warning,

the 94ft./lbs front crank bolt TSB revision, is ignored too, and most of these engine have crank snout damage..
publishes in 1996 and is retroactive to all G16s made, all years.