Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing out heater hoses
(07-26-2019, 04:01 AM)fixkick Wrote:
(07-25-2019, 03:54 PM)Longrod Wrote: I need to find out how to replace the heater hoses on my 94 Tracker 8v with 3 speed A/T. One is leaking (probably in the intake hose). I wish to replace both of them.  I'm sure the intake manifold support plate must come out. Does anything else need to be removed to gain access to the front/engine side hose clamps/ends?. How hard of a job is this? Any and all advice, tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated.

not sure what you ask here,  Gates hose  comp. sells great hose for this car.
sold in most stores, Gates is a top seller,

[Thanks for the reply. I have hoses 16 and 17 ordered from Rockauto.  #17 is delayed/back ordered. One of the heater hoses is bad. Both turned green when dye added but can't tell which one. I assume the bad one is the inlet since it would get hotter but I'm replacing both. How hard is it to access the front (engine side) clamps?

the job depends you your skills and tools, and how big you are or how agile you are?
   [I'm skilled, big and I have many tools but arthritic and far from agile.]

the one trick is never yank the hose on the CORE firewall side, we cut it if gently with very sharp knife, so as to put ZERO stress on the core, or 15hours labor swap a core.

[Good tip.]

ok?
the rest is all just hose basics,  top down or bottom up.

[Which way is easier?]

my bottom up would need me to remove the front 4wd factory skid plate or you cant do that.

[My Tracker is 2 wheel drive and no skid plate.]

the top down can be aided with manifold stiffener out.
   [Yep, I guess the triangular manifold support would need to come out. Just 3 bolts. I had to pull it in the past to get the new starter in. Sadly I didn't pay attention to the hoses under the manifold at that time.]

and ore pulling generator (battery minus cable pulled first or BOOM)

[So the alternator must also come out after the negative battery cable comes off. I changed the alternator 10 years ago and to get to the wires I had to also pull the charcoal canister which was fairly easy.]

obvious the easy path to get your arm in there varies, 

[That's what I was wondering about.]

by above 3 ways. (even all 3 ways (top, bottom and alt pulled ,as hose #17 and all 3, #18 clamps , the 1 hose #17 clamp is most hard to reach,... ) 

[Is way number 1 removing the alternator and manifold support plate or just one or the other?  What is the bottom up way? Would this be a really easy job for a mechanic with a lift?
   Continued below:

[Image: 91system1.JPG]

[What does the front/engine end of hose #16 attach to???  In the illustration it's just hanging off in space. Is there someplace else under the intake manifold where coolant can leak out and run down the heater hoses? Is there another hose I should buy just in case? I guess my main worry is can the heater hoses be changed without removing the intake manifold?

Thanks again!

the factory hose P/N are here

https://fixkick.com/t-belt/hosed.html

gates still makes em.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/suzu...+pipe,6892

Messages In This Thread
Changing out heater hoses - by Longrod - 07-25-2019, 03:54 PM
RE: Changing out heater hoses - by fixkick - 07-26-2019, 04:01 AM
RE: Changing out heater hoses - by Longrod - 07-28-2019, 04:00 PM
RE: Changing out heater hoses - by fixkick - 07-28-2019, 09:55 PM
RE: Changing out heater hoses - by fixkick - 07-28-2019, 10:05 PM
RE: Changing out heater hoses - by fixkick - 07-28-2019, 10:07 PM