Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2.3 DOHC motor - correct operating temp
(07-22-2019, 04:59 AM)fixkick Wrote: an inline pipe sensor gauge, would best be on hose 1/10  hose  or 19 , maybe,  but only if 19 flows as per above?
again ECT is the correct place,  or make custom welded  up, ECT base flange with 2nd sensor port, for dash gauge,  that is not junk.

when you use junky gauges (most are!), (I test them on hot water first,  to see if they lie) pan of 200f water drop the sensor into it, see how far off it is, and write that down.
like this:
read   actual
220  is  200f;.
if  that works ok this error then put the new sensor in the correct spot that is at ECT point only. doing so takes work , welding or cutting or what ever is there that can be modified for a direct sensor addition.  J18 would be pipe 1

The idea of running an engine at idle at a stop light at 220-240 degrees with fans running is absolutely terrifying to me.  I am used to engine temps lower than this and everything I have experienced over the  years tells me to expect overheating and damage.

I've put too much effort, money,  and time into swapping in the new motor to destroy it by not setting up an adequate cooling system so I wanted more measurements and not just a simple needle in the main gauge cluster.  My engine 'modding' goes back to the '80s when I modified US iron and I am used to dealing with temps nowhere near this hot and when I saw them on the APP and ODB2 scanner, to me that something had to be wrong and inaccurate.  Being around software for so many years I have often seen inaccurate coding in applications that I felt that these numbers can't be right.

So if these temps reported by the app are normal (I've looked all over the Internet and didn't find anything really on normal operating temps of the J series motor)  I rely on what I know so if this old dog (me) has to learn a few tricks then OK.  

So I took some measurements with an IR thermometer right after I got home at idle and I was seeing close to 220 temps near the sensor at the back of the motor but still getting 190 at the gauge near the flex hose near the radiator and read 187 with the IR,    Measurements down the tube got lower as I moved forward.  I didn't expect to see a 30 temp drop along the tube but it was there.  In the past when I have installed these gauges they have been right at the exit of the motor near the thermostat on old GM Iron by tapping into the thermostat housing, this method can't apply here.

I have a 2nd tube from the old 1.8 motor and I may put a bung on it at the back near the coolant temp and install it to get a more accurate reading with the gauge I have. It's fairly accurate but I see now my placement is off for a proper reading. 

So this as a learning event and It'll take me a bit to get over the terror of these temps and understand it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2.3 DOHC motor - correct operating temp - by thebanjoman - 07-23-2019, 09:29 AM