Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idle high after cleaning throttle body and lashing valves...
Fixkick,

I've read all your pages regarding idle issues on a 16v engine. I'm still trying to resolve the issue with my idle. It seems very inconsistent. Like something sticking or intermittently not closing etc.

I noticed that the idle will drop occasionally when it is hot outside and the engine is in the warm up stages or hot. (ie. going lean) . It will sometimes drop to near 200-400 rpm. But, it doesn't seem to do this consistently after the engine is fully hot. However, the engine will idle rough occasionally with a slight bounce on the mounts.

My number one suspect is the EGR Main valve. Since opening that port on the intake to resolve the 51 error, it seems like that circuit is now exposed to outside air where it wasn't before. My idle seemed fine prior to fixing that issue. Additionally, the idle seemed fine when the car was started right after the repairs, but the issues started after the first test drive. Strange. (EGR kicking in on test drive?)

I know you pro mechanics hate throwing parts at an issue, but sometimes it's just easier for us hacks to change the parts and see if the symptom changes. I don't mind since I want to have the spare parts on hand since I will be using the vehicle on an island where parts aren't available and shipping one part in would equal the cost of buying all spare parts while in the USA. Thus, I purchased a new EGR valve, a used Idle speed control as well as a used throttle body assembly.

Does an inconsistently dropping RPM during the warm up cycle or hot engine eliminate the Idle Speed Control? Not sure if there is a differentiation between a consistently dropping rpm and an intermittently dropping rpm.

thanks again for your help!

John
95 Geo Tracker, Build Date 1/95,16v, Fed, Cami, 4x4, MT, Headed for Grenada.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Idle high after cleaning throttle body and lashing valves... - by cosmic_splatter - 09-18-2014, 01:53 PM