Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction and a question on poor starting.
Hello all! Some of you may recognize me as ColonelHogan44 over at Suzuki-Forums. I thought I'd introduce myself.

My 1996 tracker (USA, 2 door, 4x4, auto, 16v) has had a persistent poor starting condition. It will start dead cold ok, with a little stumbling, then rev to about 1000-1200 and run ok. fully hot, it always starts, with just a little stumble. When it's warm, it will crank and crank and then catch after 2-3 seconds, often stalling out. On the second attempt, it stays running generally. With a little bit of throttle, it starts very easily. When I began, the long term fuel trim was 1.8, showing a little tiny vacuum leak.

Once it's running, it runs BEAUTIFULLY, and I get 28-30 MPG with my automatic tranny. Great power. The ECU can hold an 800 rpm idle regardless of loads (headlights, in and out of gear) and bumps it up to 1000 with A/C

So far I have:

1.) Checked timing, it is correct at 5* BTDC. Plugs and wires are new, as is the cap/rotor. Doesn't seem to be an ignition problem.
2.) Checked plugs, gapped to 0.028. No carbon, they look perfect.
3.) Checked EGR, It was loose, but very clean, functional and not clogged. Cracked gasket. Cleaned(just because I'm OCD and it was off, so why not??), replaced with a new gasket. Long term fuel trim is now 0.0.
4.) cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC MAF cleaner. No change.
5.) pinched all vacuum hoses and sprayed carb cleaner on the connections. Nothing.
6.) Replaced the PCV valve. No change.

I'm starting to suspect the wax pellet based IAC valve is not opening. What's the best way to check this? Any other ideas on what to check next?
NEW MANUFACTURE: 89-94 soft top clips - $50/set shipped -- lifetime warranty -- PM for details.

1993 Tracker 4x4, 2 door, 8v, 3 sp auto. 132k - 25 mpg
1996 Tracker 4x4, 2 door, 16v, 3 sp auto. 100k - 28.6 mpg
1998 Saturn SL2, 4 speed auto, 206k - 35 mpg
1987 Mercedes-Benz 300D turbodiesel, 4 sp auto, 143k - 28.7 mpg

Messages In This Thread
Introduction and a question on poor starting. - by renaissanceman - 01-28-2015, 06:16 AM