Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1993 Tracker ECM contolling alternator?
I have been trying to figure out if my reman ECM, while allowing my 93 Tracker 8V 5 speed to finally start and run normally, is possibly keeping the alternator from charging. The original ECM had the fuel pump relay clicking while cranking normally, good battery. I removed the original ECM and replaced the  usual bad capacitors, but this did not fix the clicking fuel pump relay/no start issue. I gave up on that ECM and got a Cardone reman. The reman allowed the Tracker to fire right up and run normally, but I soon noticed that the headlights were dim and wipers were slow, and after an hour the battery ran down. I tsted the alternator and got no charging at the battery. I replaced the alternator with a reman unit, despite being suspicious of the coincidence of the original alternator failing simultaneously with the ECM. The original alternator was charging fine before the fuel pump relay clicking/no start issue, and the battery was, and still is, good. This leads me to believe that the reman ECM is partially working to the extent that it allows the vehicle to start and run, but is not prompting the alternator to kick on. My question is, does the ECM control alternator output on my 1993 Geo Tracker 8 valve 5 speed 2 door, base, no A/C? If not, then I'll try another alternator?

Messages In This Thread
1993 Tracker ECM contolling alternator? - by 93MJK - 02-09-2020, 08:21 AM