Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
89-90 Sidekick throttle body differences
Hi all,

Thank you for keeping up this truly amazing site and forum, a most invaluable resource in the Sidekick universe!

As the second owner of an 89 2-door convertible 4x4 M/T, I'm having some cold starting and general idling issues (nothing immobilizing, just not to spec) mainly because of a faulty throttle body due to age and previous tampering by inexperienced mechanics (the cold start IAC, butterfly valve movement, and probably a few other important things are not working properly). My mechanic suggested that I look for a good condition used throttle body (since new ones are discontinued) to swap in or work from. It seems that for the 89/90 kicks there were 4 throttle bodies available: manual California, manual Federal, A/T California, and A/T Federal. I can't tell if my car is California or Federal because the hood has been replaced so I can't trust the stickers, and I don't think the VIN is able to differentiate. So, are there differences between the 4 throttle bodies and if so, how can I tell which one I need? I found a good condition one on eBay, and it says it's from an 89 kick and will work on 89/90 2wd and 4x4 kicks and trackers, but doesn't specify anything beyond that. If the 4 throttle bodies aren't entirely interchangeable, are at least some of their internal parts? Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Random separate question: I installed a new Koyo radiator because the stock one was leaking and was wondering if I can still use the OEM radiator cap.

Sorry for the long post (my first) and many thanks for any and all input.

Kindest regards

Messages In This Thread
89-90 Sidekick throttle body differences - by spiritofr - 04-03-2015, 08:29 AM