Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
94 Pontiac engine in Sidekick!
91 Sidekick JX, 8V, S. Carolina Car, 2 dr, 3 speed Auto Trani, Halifax, NS, Canada

Dear Fixkick:
No, there is no backfiring, (that is something else, backfiring)
or bad codes. (code 12 or dead , no response from ECU? using the DLC jumper wire?)
It just sounds rough. that is misfiring, most times just needs a tuneup, sparkplugs, wires, cap rotor.
might be just a simple damaged spark wire, id put in BOSCH mag wires.... for best long service.

I also think the engine is burning oil. (if the spark plug tips are not turning black or oil soaked, its ok for now) running 10w-30 oil?)

It just sounds very rough running, (and is misfiring) and does not feel the same way it was before changing the engine.

I checked the eBay yesterday, and according to sellers of ECUs, the ECU of 94 Sunrunner is the same one that in 91 Sidekick (apparently).
the ECU has a part number, most have a 56Bxx suffix, only this matters, who knows whats there after so many years.
I'd bet it is not the ECU, id be all over spark quality first... a full 60k tunup,
there are no sunnrunners ECU, only Canada ECU. are you in Canada.,

So, I am conclude that the engine is just tired and not very good.
What amazes me is the compression reading I got, which does not match what I am seeing in terms of engine performance!
cold compression is near 150,
8v does 150 cold and 170 warm or hot. all do, at sea-level... this is a bench mark , standard, id say yours is ok, if done cold and now know
you are near sea-level.... < 1000feet.

Regards,
Zackman

PS. The oil idiot light comes on after the engine gets warmed up. (not a good sign the sender can trip at 3psi, so, that is bad, what oil is there 10w-30?) or OMG 0W?
I have bought a oil pressure gage that I will install today. (id worry this to death, 3sp is going to starve the cam.... and rods) the cam runs on a 0.050" orifice feed, gallery in head, "TINY"
gallery pressure, :
this engine will do 55psi, cold engine cranked, with spark plugs removed, (this is a test i do even engine on a pallet, and compression next) saves me wasted 8hr labor.... that....
FYI, I paid more ($20) to get the proper union from BSPT to NPT that I paid for the gauge and the three unions that came with the gauge ($15) - absurd!) (cars with BSPT fittings, are a pain, there is no , other way, besides risk,,,, ) its the only non ISO screw/pipe on car,, so... pain.
[/quote]

you are correct compression is first.
then spark, if spark bad , well combustion ends or misfirse
last is fueling, that being rich will cause, misfire.

1: flashes 12s?
using this method.
a jumperclip inserted in the DLC< connector next to battery, 4 pin or 6 pin , is shown here,
must flash 12s.. keyon, then 12s running,,,,
http://www.fixkick.com/CEL/DLC/DiagJump.html

it must flash, not be dead, lamp.!!
off my ECU page are all numbers, (no secrets on this topic, no more guessing)
http://www.fixkick.com/ECU/EPC-ECU96-98/...9-95NA.pdf
market codes
03 is usa fed
33 is usa calif
28 is canada.
in Canada the also have gray market cars, then,,, (from anywhere) only the numbers on ecu matter, or body of car chassis tag matters.
8v only (IS YOURS G16A) would be nice to know what you are driving.. whats under hold first.
56Bxx is the suffix, all prefixes are same (56b means 8valve engine TBI)
all 91s were 8v.
I will now read the full canada listing for 91./94 8v. ecu.

ALL 1991 ecus, are 56B30 mt and B40-a/t (usa and canada) all are. same, matching transmission all in N. AMerican, (canada too) this year.
1994 is different, (in usa smog reasons)
Canada only market code "e28" cars, run 3 ecu. 56B all are... 8v. (sunrunner is just tag sticker from GM)
B90,MT, 2doors,
b70,AT, 4doors (bingo you) 56B70...
B80,AT, 4doors.

in usa, the same 8v engine runs. different ECU, for SMOG reasons
B51, E3,8v, 2dr, m/t , or 56B61 , A/T, so the USA ECU is B61 and yours is B70.... all for smog reasons, there are 100s of ECU world wide.
the 4door here are all 16v so , not applicable to topic.

there i covered, 3 markets and 2 years, and only 8valve engines.

what matters is the numbers stamped on side of ecu, only that matters. and its matching harness, (VIN code tells this)

so, is the front crank pulley bolt , 17mm deep wall socket fits it , tight and fully at 94ft./lbs or loose.
is the cam belt fresh? this is first on all new (found) engines.... first things first... then compression....
is spark timing landing on 5 degrees, or as the hood sticker shows. 5,deg, BTDC? using a timing light and the freeze jumper.
http://www.fixkick.com/IGN_timing/IGN-FREEZE.HTML

back to ECU.
some have bad caps . type ECU in my search box.

what if ECU is wrong suffix number.
well if you mix calif and fed, you get code 53 error, (flashes that)
or EGR fails Code 51.
it wont misfire, only the EGR systems vary.
if you mix 4dr and 2dr, a minor power loose, ive never felt it... but the ECU is tuned for car body MASS.
4dr weighs more that 2doors.

if running any 91 ecu, its more forgiving, less, smog codes.... that is all you will notices, not misfiring, not ever.
But in all cases all engines, EGR must be closed at idle.

that rough sound, is actually misfiring, with attendant loss of power, and engine shacking ,and felt large vibrations.
all that is called misfiring, (it's bad combustion, in 1 or more cylinders. for sure)
bad spark is top contender ,...(good engine) spark wires fresh, BOSCH MAG wires, gaps at .028" not the silly NGK factory , 0.045" EVER !
never run carbon wires, they break so easy, use MAG< wire from Bosch, NKG, or any top brand that are MAG. wires.
the spark on this car is weak, by todays standards and having the best wire set is a win, in all cases,.
also reading spark tips.
are they?
1: black (carbon)
2: oil fouled (brown) or dripping in oil.
3: gas soaked, or dripping gas>?
4: white/cream, tan or dry> (good)
5: green with antifreeze?
6: look damaged?

does it flash code 12s on demand running? it must, (not dead lamp, not stuck on) it flashes. the CEL on DEMAND (by you)

what isnt it
its not vacuum leaks, on a 8v leaks cause too fast hot idle (can) but the MAP sensor must not have a clogged, hose or cracks on it hose. FIRE wall MAP sensor,
is your hot idle at 800 rpm.?

does the misfire happen
cold engine
hot engine
both?
or only moving> if yes, when, under what conditions,?

Backfire, is not misfire, well it is but 10x worse. back fire to air cleaner is bad timing, grossly bad. (cam timed wrong, distrib, or both)
Backfire to tail pipe end is , called muffler explosion and is ,an engine way too rich and a sources of air too, landing there, cracks in exhaust (2 failures) its only a symptom of a gross rich engine or gross misfiring, with unburned fuel landing there. the CAT will be red hot. still have a CAT?

if car was a 1996,(1998 in canada)
you;'d have DTC errors P030x, misfire errors.
because it IS.
wish i knew all conditions it did so, hot,cold both? engine?
or only idling hot.
or all the time.?
the when , really helps , in diagnosing all engines, for misfire.
most are spark caused. (not all) just most.

one easy (just random guess) way?
is too high fuel pressure.
34psi is normal but if 60psi, it will misfire all the time.. and suck fuel like mad. (this is not spark related its , fuel caused)
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
94 Pontiac engine in Sidekick! - by Zackman - 06-09-2016, 12:52 AM
RE: 94 Pontiac engine in Sidekick! - by fixkick - 06-09-2016, 01:32 AM
RE: 94 Pontiac engine in Sidekick! - by Zackman - 06-09-2016, 10:15 PM
RE: 94 Pontiac engine in Sidekick! - by fixkick - 06-09-2016, 11:26 PM
RE: 94 Pontiac engine in Sidekick! - by Zackman - 06-14-2016, 10:31 PM
RE: 94 Pontiac engine in Sidekick! - by fixkick - 06-15-2016, 12:55 AM