Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
90 Tracker died, burning smell in dash, won't run now...
Thanks for the reply/info.

I didn't have time to look at it today, but I can give more info.

It is a 4wd 2dr convertible with 5spd manual. It has federal emissions, 1.6L TBI engine - the tag under the hood looks just like the 1990 Federal tag you posted.

The previous lighting failure was caused by a rust hole in the right front wheel well allowing salt spray directly onto the bottom of the fusible link (power distribution) box. The terminal on the white/yellow wire corroded and the end of the wire broke off, killing power to all the lights except for turn signals.

Anyway, as far as wiring hacks from the previous owner, it had aftermarket fog lights. Iremoved most of that wiring previously, including the power feed. It also has aftermarket radio, clock, ammeter, and lighted visor mirror. The clock and radio memory wires, and the visor and ammeter lighting wires were "tapped" into the fuse box by inserting the bare end of the wire under fuse blades. Not a good way to do it. I plan to replace these with Add-A-Circuit fuse taps in the future.

Checking briefly tonight, the burned smell is still strong inside the car, and is definitely eminating from behind the dash. Inside the dash, I see a large plastic box below the ECM, zip tied to a harness. There is also a small plastic box just right of the left speaker hole, just kinda hanging out, not secured.

Everything (lights, horn, a/c fan, etc.) is still functional.

I will check for DTCs tomorrow. Previously there were no DTCs but "12.."

I will also check for spark while it's trying to start. The old fashioned way to me means a carriage bolt in one of the spark plug boots, held close to the block... We shall see.

Thanks,
Wes

Messages In This Thread
RE: 90 Tracker died, burning smell in dash, won't run now... - by GeoCacher90 - 05-24-2016, 12:05 PM