Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
preparing for the future
Hey jerry, Well head is in and lash set, I checked ,oil pressure and it got to 30 before it stopped working. I then did compression test and It all came up aces, 180 plus across theI board. I have most of the motor put together, I put the calimini header on and it looks like it will bolt up to the down pipe i got from flea bay. I need to get new bolts to make it all work. I buggered up the new ones I had in old exhaust manifold.....I even retapped the threads to no avail. i am going to recheck my timing and recheck lash one last time before I close it up. But i am confident that I did it correctly. its late and I am whopped, been a long two days. Cheers Bill
1996 geo tracker cami vin# 2CNBE1867T693XXXX 2wd 5sp
Sad 
wow , full compression,, great,
Quote:before it stopped working
it quit?

if it dont start, check spark intensity x4 , if ok, then try test fuel , if test fuel fails ,spark timing is way off.
if test fuel works , find, dead injector reasons.

rest your bones..... cheers!
http://www.fixkick.com
no the oil pressure gauge i was using stopped working. i dont have car all together yet. i think spark will be fine. i still have exhaust and other things to do. I just wanted to check comp and get oil flowing before I put it together the rest of the way. sorry about the confusion. Bill
Oops sorry , oil gauge flat lined.

if you can crank it , with strong battery, and see top end oiling ,its most likely ok.

seized heads give me the willies...

you are making great progress... we want fire, we must have fire now......
it runs. wow.
that noise in the head.
ticking.
you had to set lash, if it was done on the heels of the cam it's ok. but id be very curious of noise from any new head,
got a stethoscope to see what end is making noise?
the lack of ticking on tight valves is doom.
so ticking?, is too loose lash, but if ears are real good all solid lifter engines tick.

it's alive, cheers.
So that is a good thing that there is ticking, on hydraulic lifters I know it goes awya once they fill wiht oil. i went thru the sequence of adjusting several times and checked with .006 and if I could slip a .007 in there I would adjust it so the .007 wouildnt slip in there. I will check with stethoscope and see if I can narrow it down . I am leary of running it down the road for fear of burning valves again hahaha. I' will let you know where I think it is. thanks Jerry. Oh also, no water leaks in the 15 minutes or so that I ran the engine. good also on no gas leaks too. Bill
yes, they tick and with some oils , more. 10w-30 will be pretty quiet.
you wont burn the valve that ticks, but as engine heats, that it must still have full lash. .007 MINIMUM HOT
the total 100% silent solid lifter , is the one to worry.

140f min. setting temp for best results. (in the old days , poor head gaskets, we had to set it again in 1 week after the gasket seated in. yours wont need that.)
it must not drop below .007 hot.

the 1995 book shows the actual temp.
992-95 16v: data; (Source 1995 ,Tracker 16v FSM pg. 6A2-12)
------------------------------------
When cold - Coolant 59-77 degrees F.:
Intake: .005 to .007
Exhaust: (same as intake above)

When hot - Coolant 140-154 degrees F.:
Intake: , .007 to .008)
Exhaust: (same as intake above)
Hey Jerry I think I will do oil change. I'm not sure what he had in there. There was no point on changing till motor was back together and running. I will hit harbor freight and get stethoscope n listen after oil change. Thanks. Bill
may be 0w oil in there, from super cold usage.
and will be diluted with gas, if was rich ,but is for sure got antifreeze in it, and will spin #4 rod bearing if left there. AF in the oil can make it go to gunk fast, and pack up critical gallery points.

yes that $5 steth, can hear amazing things, even gen bearings about to go bad.

its going to run!
Hey Jerry. I changed oil and seems a little better but is still making quite a racket. Haha. Guess I will recheck lash is only a few hours work. Pic is of right rear brake drum new brakes from rock auto. Started to drive it around the block but was making horrid noise. Rear brake shoe is dragging on the drum. You can see wear marks on rusted drum. Brake shoe is only hitting on one side. Front shoe bottom side. These were closeout shoes so that could be some of it. Other side has no issues at all. Should I just let it wear down or perhaps grind protruding part down. What are your thoughts. Thanks. Bill

I forgot it sounds like it is coming from the 3rd cylinder exhaust valve. the steh is pretty cool you can really hear what s going on.