Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pag oil, type & amount
one more confusing factory here
the Freon is by WEIGHT, 21 oz, is weight,
and the oil is by volume oz.
chem101

sanden (this equation simplifies, mass to volume conversion, in the book) i think that .9 is the density of PAG 46 (46 = viscosity) (the 0.06 , my guess is 6% ratio) (2.2 not sure)
Oil amount (oz.) = [(Refrigerant charge in oz. x 0.06) + 2.2] รท 0.9

so, 21 x 0.06 = 1.26 + 2.2 = 3.46 div .9 = 3.84 oz (pag)
about 4 oz. (volume)
so the 6 oz, number above chart, is the Suzuki running, at upper end of range (8%?)
the range is 3-8% (Sanden)

there are also new oils sold
that allow mixing of old mineral oil with pag, (say you cant get out the old oil , someone put in the wrong)
not sure what its called, and is modern.
http://www.fixkick.com
I also saw the chart you posted and the upper half of it listed pag100 as correct for a Tracker but another site I looked at referred to a TSB that said to change pag 100 to pag 46 when doing a system flush. Anyway, I am going to go with pag 46 since that is what came in my new compressor. Since the evaporator and the hoses will be the only part I reuse after they are flushed, then I don't think that I can go wrong with the pag 46. As for the oil capacity, I have seen the amount listed for an empty system go from a low of 4oz to a high of 6oz. I think that I will go with 6oz since all the research I have done leans closer to 5 1/2 oz.
TM96
1996 Tracker 16V 5sp 4x4 2 door
sounds good.
on amount.
the new Sanden books says for Viscosity. of oil,, the pour point is only major difference. when cold.
your makers compressor model asks for, SANDEN sp-10 to sp-15 oil, (Sanden brand codes) or 48 to 80 viscosity/centistrokes (nobody's going to special order that stuff) lol
iSO 100 is same as centistroke 100. on the chart and very near 80, (SP15)

many shop only carry ISO 100 PAG
the compressor has 120ml oil in pump new, or 4oz.
so 6 sounds ok, with a dry, rest of system.
the 3 to 8% load is by weight,
liquid weight of Freon to liq. weight of PAG , percent.

once the system runs the distribution of 6 ounces are
Compressor.........1.4 oz
Condenser..........1.0 oz
Evaporator.........1.5 oz
Accumulator........1.0 oz
Hoses..............1.0 oz

6oz is very common on cars, not too large.

from
http://www.aa1car.com/library/pagoil.htm
Well, this is what I now know. Yesterday I finally got some time to R&R the a/c components. I read in my FSM how to remove the condenser but the opening in the front was so small after I removed the center brace that I decided to go a different route. I have an electric rad fan so I can easily pull it in under 10 minutes. I removed refrigerant lines, the electrical connections, the passenger side rad support ( condenser was bolted to it) and the remaining condenser bolts on the other side. It lifted right out and the new one went straight in without damaging the delicate fins in the new part.
With the rad out, there is plenty of room to easily R&R the compressor. When I removed the old one on the bottom of it and out of sight was the holy grail...The info tag! The FSM is correct as capacity is 90cc and it uses ND-8 (pag 46). I priced that ND oil and it is hella expensive. I drained the old compressor to see how much oil was in it and it had 60cc.
I drained the new one of the shipping oil and went with 4oz of oil which is .6 of an oz more than the 3.4 that the FSM lists as the system capacity. I pulled the system for 1 1/2 hours and I am now waiting to see if I have any leaks before I put in the refrigerant.
By hand spinning the old compressor verses the new compressor there was a big difference in the tightness of it. The new one shot oil way in the air while the old one spit out a small amount. I guess the seals were worn out in the old one. The oil that was drained from it didn't have any shaving or broken bits.
I will post back when all is buttoned up and the system is charged.
TM96
wow, hidden tag, that was a surprise.
nice review, best ever here,
thanks for posting , the steps and issues,
all good to hear.

thanks!
Fixkick, Thanks for you help with this.
I waited 30 minutes and the system held so I added the refrigerant. I used the entire 20oz can of refrigerant so I know that I am near full capacity without worrying about over filling the system. I read several places that it is much better to be a little under full than over full. It is 78 degrees today and the A/C is blowing 40-42 degrees at the center vent! I know that it will probably not be that cold when it hits 95 degrees, but before this repair my vent temp never got lower than 60 degrees even on cooler days like today. I have a removable hardtop so it is a lot easier to maintain a comfortable temperature compared to when I have the soft top on.
The one negative about this fix is that the new compressor really sucks the power from the engine. This indicates to me that the compressor is doing its job as designed. It is very noticeable when the compressor cycles on and off while driving. I figure that I will take a beating in the MPG department, but you have to pay to be comfortable here in hot humid North Carolina.
Trackerman96
BTW...Thank you A.Z. for the free use of the pump & gauges!