Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donor Short block for 16V
Hola Fix. Hope all is well. I might do a short block swap and my question is if there is no crank no rods and pistons with the donor block, and keeping the original bearing shells is critical for the corresponding journal, whats needs be done. Use my existing bearing for reference or remeasure all journal and buy bearing accordingly?

BTW, other than check for block condition, check for anything warped, and resurface both cylinder head and block etc, cylinders would only need a honing?

Thanks for your time.
Sidekick 94, 1.6L Engine 16v
4 spd Auto Tranny
4 Door 2RWD
Puerto Rico
(02-10-2016, 01:58 AM)zukitrek Wrote: Hola Fix. Hope all is well
I might do a short block swap and my question is if there is no crank no rods and pistons with the donor block, and keeping the original bearing shells is critical for the corresponding journal, whats needs be done. Use my existing bearing for reference or remeasure all journal and buy bearing accordingly?

BTW, other than check for block condition, check for anything warped, and resurface both cylinder head and block etc, cylinders would only need a honing?

Thanks for your time.

you mean bare block right, no crank.
you can not mix parts, all parts must fitted,
ask your machinist.
even stock cylinders are not same size or journals, when new.
all have size _ color code.

the most easy job (not ready to run short block) is if the block, cylinders, and pistons are all good, then have crank ground and match net bearing to it.
when they grind it, the crank for the first time have super precision journals, now.. and bearings all same sized, (all after market bearings do that)

good luck

PS
after market bearing will not fit a stock crank. why?
the crank was ground with parallel machine and was crude, unlike today's shops do. and had custom suzuki bearings to match that crudeness. (color coded) same as cylinders.
see?
http://www.fixkick.com
(02-10-2016, 06:06 AM)fixkick Wrote:
(02-10-2016, 01:58 AM)zukitrek Wrote: Hola Fix. Hope all is well
I might do a short block swap and my question is if there is no crank no rods and pistons with the donor block, and keeping the original bearing shells is critical for the corresponding journal, whats needs be done. Use my existing bearing for reference or remeasure all journal and buy bearing accordingly?

Thanks for your time.

you mean bare block right, no crank.
you can not mix parts, all parts must fitted,
ask your machinist.
even stock cylinders are not same size or journals, when new.
all have size _ color code.

the most easy job (not ready to run short block) is if the block, cylinders, and pistons are all good, then have crank ground and match net bearing to it.
when they grind it, the crank for the first time have super precision journals, now.. and bearings all same sized, (all after market bearings do that)

good luck

PS
after market bearing will not fit a stock crank. why?
the crank was ground with parallel machine and was crude, unlike today's shops do. and had custom suzuki bearings to match that crudeness. (color coded)
So is the same as honda? Color codes are given by a combination of numbers and letter on crank and block
same as cylinders.
see?

Well Someone is seliing a 16V short block, and Ill intend on using my pistons rods and crank. The best idea would be to take whole thing to machine shop for measurements. The donor block is untouched, still standard and so is mine.

Javier
4 spd Auto Tranny
4 Door 2RWD
Puerto Rico
Well Someone is selling a 16V short block, (whats missing?)a short block is 100% complete minus head,...
what is wrong with his total short block? something bad there or missing?

and Ill intend on using my pistons rods and crank. (why?)
why not use his block, his pistons and rings, , yours or his rods and your crank, with your bearings.
id try keep pistons and rings in same block.

The best idea would be to take whole thing to machine shop for measurements. The donor block is untouched, still standard and so is mine.

too many variables, my head exploded.
sorry.

if changing pistions and rights, you most not put #1 piston inn #2 holes. or reverses
see those stamps on the front right corner of the block deck, those are hole size variations.
dont mix those. up. and if mixing say a hole size 2 with hole size 2 on new block it needs new rings and light scuff hone.
the crank is also marked with size variances, so do not mix bearings up. keep them married to the crank that is good. in order.
or you must start from scratch.
(02-10-2016, 07:32 AM)fixkick Wrote: Well Someone is selling a 16V short block, (whats missing?)a short block is 100% complete minus head,...
what is wrong with his total short block? something bad there or missing?

and Ill intend on using my pistons rods and crank. (why?)
why not use his block, his pistons and rings, , yours or his rods and your crank, with your bearings.
id try keep pistons and rings in same block.

The best idea would be to take whole thing to machine shop for measurements. The donor block is untouched, still standard and so is mine.

too many variables, my head exploded.
sorry.

if changing pistions and rights, you most not put #1 piston inn #2 holes. or reverses
see those stamps on the front right corner of the block deck, those are hole size variations.
dont mix those. up. and if mixing say a hole size 2 with hole size 2 on new block it needs new rings and light scuff hone.
the crank is also marked with size variances, so do not mix bearings up. keep them married to the crank that is good. in order.
or you must start from scratch.

All that about interchanging piston positions etc, I already know. Thanks for reminding. Maybe I did not make myself clear. Someone is selling a block but I don't know if its going to be only empty block (no rods, pistons crank etc) I already asked him but no news yet. If and only if its only the bare block, then I would be using my crank, pistons, rods etc with new bearings etc. If it is with crank, pistons and rods, then of course I would be using his. Maybe I used the wrong term. Short block is the whole bottom half of engine right?. Well as of now I don't know if its bear or whole.

But to the original question, if it is my pistons, rods and crank and his bare block then bearings would be determined by those marks you mention?

Thanks!!
4 spd Auto Tranny
4 Door 2RWD
Puerto Rico
sorry
didnt notice, block was unseen
that can be anything this old.
OK. got it. Thanks!!
4 spd Auto Tranny