Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gear oil from speedo cable
Anyone ran across this. 96 jx 5 speed 205k miles. Getting gear oil dripping from speedo cable into floorboard. Soaking everything from cluster on down. Can't seem to find a way to stop it. This has gone on for about 6 months, but unable to stop it.
Any ideas most welcome.
welcome
4wd or 2wd?
id say 1 fo 3 possible
1; the transmission vents are blocked (the 5sp ties to a transfer case vent then up to behind engine a vent cap and nothing. beyond here, this is the high water mark. there./
2: the transmission is overfilled (which ever the cable fits. 2wd or 4wd)_
3: or someone greased
the cable. by hand, using a wrong grease or poor quality that turns to oil.
i guess #1

cheers.

(02-05-2016, 09:08 AM)jlyon Wrote: Anyone ran across this. 96 jx 5 speed 205k miles. Getting gear oil dripping from speedo cable into floorboard. Soaking everything from cluster on down. Can't seem to find a way to stop it. This has gone on for about 6 months, but unable to stop it.
Any ideas most welcome.
http://www.fixkick.com
(02-05-2016, 12:44 PM)fixkick Wrote: welcome
4wd or 2wd?
id say 1 fo 3 possible
1; the transmission vents are blocked (the 5sp ties to a transfer case vent then up to behind engine a vent cap and nothing. beyond here, this is the high water mark. there./
i guess #1

cheers.

(02-05-2016, 09:08 AM)jlyon Wrote: Anyone ran across this. 96 jx 5 speed 205k miles. Getting gear oil dripping from speedo cable into floorboard. Soaking everything from cluster on down. Can't seem to find a way to stop it. This has gone on for about 6 months, but unable to stop it.
Any ideas most welcome.

2 WD model. Grease drained refilled by myself to just barely below full. Did so in case wrong grease was used, or the like.This was 2 months after issue started. Had truck 2 years and first year no issue. Cable not been serviced since purchased. Assuming no vent on 2WD.
the 2wd is different system.
the cable is uses just lithium grease. (it has no internal seals, for inside cable) (only outside seals that leak to ground when bad)
the gear box is GL4 lube, filled to lower edge of right side fill hole. (gear lube 4, not ATF, not GL5 or any other lubes.)
there is a vent on top with hoses , that must be free to breath.
or it will push GL4 up that cable as the GL4 warms it expands as does the air inside the case, if the vent is plugged up, there is no stopping this expanding force.
part 20 clogged.
part 21 clogged
[Image: 3_05_02_16_6_46_56.jpeg]

that be it., IMO
the 4wd has 2 hoses and Tee fitting,the vents both cases to 1 tube.

(02-05-2016, 08:03 PM)jlyon Wrote:
4wd or 2wd?
id say 1 fo 3 possible
i guess #1

cheers.

Any ideas most welcome.

2 WD model. Grease drained refilled by myself to just barely below full. Did so in case wrong grease was used, or the like.This was 2 months after issue started. Had truck 2 years and first year no issue. Cable not been serviced since purchased. Assuming no vent on 2WD.

#20 is not plug, some cars it's missing (or someone one used bolt there,or cork? or/?)
#20 is a vent cap, to keep, dust and rain from falling down there.
it vents freely.
http://www.fixkick.com
(02-05-2016, 10:48 PM)fixkick Wrote: the 2wd is different system.
the cable is uses just lithium grease. (it has no internal seals, for inside cable) (only outside seals that leak to ground when bad)
the gear box is GL4 lube, filled to lower edge of right side fill hole. (gear lube 4, not ATF, not GL5 or any other lubes.)
or it will push GL4 up that cable as the GL4 warms it expands as does the air inside the case, if the vent is plugged up, there is no stopping this expanding force.
part 20 clogged.
part 21 clogged

that be it., IMO

4wd or 2wd?
id say 1 fo 3 possible
i guess #1

cheers.

Any ideas most welcome.

#20 is not plug, some cars it's missing (or someone one used bolt there,or cork? or/?)
it vents freely.
Perfect and Thanks. I bet the vent is it. Will update when cleaned.
(02-06-2016, 12:23 AM)jlyon Wrote:
(02-05-2016, 10:48 PM)fixkick Wrote: the 2wd is different system.
part 20 clogged.
part 21 clogged

that be it., IMO

4wd or 2wd?
id say 1 fo 3 possible
i guess #1

cheers.

Any ideas most welcome.

it vents freely.
Perfect and Thanks. I bet the vent is it. Will update when cleaned.

Well, you were spot on. Vent missing and hose stopped up. Cleaned out hose and extended to top of firewall and put a 90 on it to keep crud out. Should solve the issue. Thanks so much for replies and schematic.