Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Engine?
Looking for some info.
Planning on pulling and rebuilding engine soon, just want to make sure its the right thing to do.
1994 Sidekick, 5 speed, 4 door, 4x4.
16 Valve. Was on the highway, lost power and developed a death shutter. Got it home, started playing around, obvious miss fire in the number 4. Pulled the spark plugs(new plugs, wires and rotor less then a month) and the number 4 is oil fouled.
Dropped a new set of plugs into the engine, re started, idled smooth for about 30 seconds, then misfire came back, just as strong as the 1st time. Still no power, shut down the engine. Checked the number 4 again, oil fouled. Restarted, now i am smoking out the neighborhood with blue smoke on an engine firing on 3 cylinders.
The truck has about 220XXX miles, i just got it 6 months ago. I needed it for the 30 inches of snow here in DC, and it sat in the drive way, covered in 30 inches of snow.
The engine should be out by the weekend, off to the machine shop to get boiled and machined.

Angry
(02-01-2016, 01:58 PM)SOMDSideKick Wrote: Looking for some info.
Planning on pulling and rebuilding engine soon, just want to make sure its the right thing to do.
1994 Sidekick, 5 speed, 4 door, 4x4.
16 Valve. Was on the highway, lost power and developed a death shutter. Got it home, started playing around, obvious miss fire in the number 4. Pulled the spark plugs(new plugs, wires and rotor less then a month) and the number 4 is oil fouled.
Dropped a new set of plugs into the engine, re started, idled smooth for about 30 seconds, then misfire came back, just as strong as the 1st time. Still no power, shut down the engine. Checked the number 4 again, oil fouled. Restarted, now i am smoking out the neighborhood with blue smoke on an engine firing on 3 cylinders.
The truck has about 220XXX miles, i just got it 6 months ago. I needed it for the 30 inches of snow here in DC, and it sat in the drive way, covered in 30 inches of snow.
The engine should be out by the weekend, off to the machine shop to get boiled and machined.

Angry

compression on #4 low, not 170+ psi
i pull head look of damage to #4 ( cross fingers) like crack valve guide, or valve related,damage at seal on valve stems
if the head gasket failed, near #4 ,its possible to suck in oil,, at the #4 main Oil drain. be cheap fix that. gasket
i always look first with hope something simple, can be.

if it ran ok, and full of oil, and just died , it might be that head gasket.
or warped head. (true cause)
good luck and , wow 30" of snow, no fun that.

cheers

compression on #4 low, not 170+ psi
i pull head look of damage to #4 ( cross fingers) like crack valve guide, or valve related,damage at seal on valve stems
if the head gasket failed, near #4 ,its possible to suck in oil,, at the #4 main Oil drain. be cheap fix that. gasket
i always look first with hope something simple, can be.

if it ran ok, and full of oil, and just died , it might be that head gasket.
or warped head. (true cause)
good luck and , wow 30" of snow, no fun that.

cheers
http://www.fixkick.com