Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
97 Tracker - Poor Idle, Hesitation
SOLVED!!! Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

So after reading all sorts of info from your site, pondering it over in my mind for hours at night, contemplating what could cause the problem I finally got it fixed.

I decided to throw away the idea that I could solve the problem looking at it from a hot engine vs cold engine stance. It may have ran better when hot, but as longas the ECT reading was correct, there's not much else that changes with how the system runs when it's hot.

After doing some research i realized that MAF sensors interchange all the way back to 92-98 and TPS were specific to 97-98 Trackers and 96-98 Sidekicks. Well I didn't have access to a TPS other than buying one brand new. I did however, have a coworker that had a 93 4dr sidekick in his yard that I could swipe the MAF from just to eliminate it.

A couple bolts and a hose clamp and I had them swapped out. Fired up the Tracker with the "new" MAF. Ran and idled perfect. In fact, the low speed driveability has improved so much, I didn't realize how bad it had gotten. It cruises better on the highway, idles smooth as butter and I'm hoping to get some significant MPG gains.

I noticed that when it's idling now, it reads about 2.7-3.3g/s. The old sensor was reading anywhere from 3.7-4.3g/s. That's 27% difference! Confused

Now interestingly enough, the old sensor gave out a nice smooth signal, with no jumps or spikes except when the engine was idling rough (as expected since sometimes it would almost stall.) A smooth, WRONG signal.

I'm going to continue driving it and see what kind of MPG I get on this tank. Between a proper MAF reading and a new FPR that doesn't leak through the vacuum line into the intake i'm guessing it should be quite a bit better.

All that being said, I thought the MAF was fine because I read somewhere that around 3-4g/s was fine. Huh At that low of engine speed, even being off by 1g/s is a big difference. Idea If it's off by 1g/s at WOT, you would never know. I think that's why it drove fine from 1/2 Throttle and up.

Thanks for all your help, dedication to this site and tireless answering of questions.

Messages In This Thread
97 Tracker - Poor Idle, Hesitation - by Mike8500 - 01-04-2016, 11:20 AM
RE: 97 , the :15 event ! - by fixkick - 01-06-2016, 12:06 AM
RE: 97 Tracker - Poor Idle, Hesitation - by Mike8500 - 03-04-2016, 12:21 PM