Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
97 Tracker - Poor Idle, Hesitation

So I'm back, I was away on Vacation and the poor Tracker just got left out in the rain. After driving it some more, I've determined that the idle quality and hesitation are worst when it is cold. The idle is quite erratic as I posted in the video earlier, sometimes even stalling at stoplights. Now even after the engine is up to temp, the idle is still wacky and it hesitates randomly under half throttle. BUT after driving for about 25min or more, the symptoms are significantly reduced. Idle is fairly good, no major dips and it won't stall. The problem never completely goes away, but after a good long highway drive, it clears up some.

I was watching a few things on the way home from work today. MAF readings are stable, ECT is accurate and stable, Air Intake Temp is stable and correct. TPS reads smooth and follows the input from my foot seamlessly.

I was just using a free app on my phone (Torque Free) but the STFT was -25% at idle, and would jump to right around zero when cruising. Still running rich it seems. The next time I'm working on it, I'm going to pull the newish plugs that are in it and see if one cylinder is drastically different than the other.

Quote:can you tip in , the throttle at other speeds ? with no hesitation or bog, Speed doesn't seemt o factor in, only throttle position, fine over 50% throttle.
the tps is not easy to calibrate on any MPI, 16v
the path is mostly blocked on car.
the ecu watches the rapid movement of throttle angle, to enable enrich mode.
rate of change.
if worn out, the spot the wears can be totally different city car and highway.. later might bad at 60mph angles/.. on cruiser.
the city car will wear out at stop lights. low angle.

yes , I just make sure EGR IS CLOSED, and defeat it , the best way is at the egr main vac hose. , so it cant suck air. Still have to check this.
once closed it stays closed, for fixing other issues,
then later put it back in service.
can save alot of grief.
had one that works perfect but sticks hot, no mater how many times cleaned.
cheers.
if going say 20mph
moving in any gear
can moving the right foot cause this bog or hesitation?
It (never really bogs - i consider a bog a continuous loss of power, vs a hesitation is like a hiccup. If I'm going 20 and hit the gas to more than 1/2 throttle it accelerates fine.

Messages In This Thread
97 Tracker - Poor Idle, Hesitation - by Mike8500 - 01-04-2016, 11:20 AM
RE: 97 , the :15 event ! - by fixkick - 01-06-2016, 12:06 AM
RE: 97 Tracker - Poor Idle, Hesitation - by Mike8500 - 03-01-2016, 11:00 AM