Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Harness Connections??

Hello,

Just recently started putting my 1994 8V 1.6L manual Tracker back together and I have a couple wires that aren't plugged in and I have no clue where they go. I have the repair manual but it doesn't show me or tell me what it goes to. The previous owner had a wire connected to one end that connected to the starter and the other end of the connector goes to the engine wire harness with the alternator connections. The wire colors coming out of it are black/red and black/yellow. There's also a single black/yellow wire (on the same harness as the previous mentioned connector) that looks like it should be the one going to the starter but I'm not sure which goes where. Any help is greatly appreciated.
welcome !
car cranks and runs?
"back together" so what works and what not?

well black with a yellow stripe is the starter key line, to the starter solenoid, small lug. if not connected, it will never crank until put back.
id need the colors of all wires, unplugged to wax smart.

blk-red.... paired with 2pin plug and black yellow?

the big odd one is 2 pin, and one wire is large black-yel
then the square plug, how many pins. and what are all colors or at least some....

usa car, or canada, some wire in canada are totally different than ours. and so is blk-red. (shown in FSM)
blk-red in canada is dome light wire (ground side)
on the USA car this is the main fuse on fender feed, called hot at all times.
that goes many places,

the other blk-red is start from the starter switch to ecu tells ecu you are cranking
'then goes to the clutch switch , to power it and other side of the clutch switch is blk-yellow. that goes to the starter soleond
so why is this connect on the wrong side of the fire wall?

[Image: 3_24_11_15_10_06_59.jpeg]

1994 8V 1.6L manual Tracker, how many doors, what trans, 5sp, is it 4wd?
need all that to use correct pages in the FSM.. for sure.
G16a engine, i see the 8v EGR in the photo.
5speed so there is no , TBody base heater in any 5sp. car.
does it have A/C? or had it? photo of right fender fuse box. shows major A/C relays there if ever. was. sockets. there.

the other blk-red run the main relay. hot pin. all time hot.
why is your clutch pedal switch harness in the engine bay?

as you can see, the bk-yel, wire cranks car.
but some owner find the connector and short it. so the clutch switch is bypassed, how they do that , is there call, lots of places.
i did it at the pedal switch (had a matching plug and jumper for emergancy, if switch failed off road.

that is the 94 print, 8v .. real.
http://www.fixkick.com

It's USA and it's a 5spd 4wd 2 door has A/C but isn't charged

I'll list the wires in question below and I've added more pictures of the wires

Transmission harness:
Picture 1: white, blue, red/black, and black
Picture 2
It looks like the reverse light switch on the transmission is broken. I have a new one to replace it but I can't find where that connects either.

Engine harness:
2 pin plug: black/red and black/yellow
square plug 4 pins: yellow, blue, red, black
square plug 5 pins: black, white, blue, orange/white, orange/black
single black wire is black/yellow
These all come off of the same harness which also hooks up to the alternator and VSV valves

When I purchased the tracker it ran but the idle was off (started 800rpm went up to 1500rpm roughly and then back down and back up and so on). I didn't have it running for a long time probably just a couple minutes then I started working on/repairing other parts that needed it. I went back through everything to see if the previous owner had everything hooked up properly and I found the wires I've listed. There were 2 vacuum lines that were missing while the vehicle ran but I have those connected now.

(11-25-2015, 08:07 AM)fixkick Wrote: welcome !
car cranks and runs?
"back together" so what works and what not?

well black with a yellow stripe is the starter key line, to the starter solenoid, small lug. if not connected, it will never crank until put back.
id need the colors of all wires, unplugged to wax smart.

blk-red.... paired with 2pin plug and black yellow?

the big odd one is 2 pin, and one wire is large black-yel
then the square plug, how many pins. and what are all colors or at least some....

usa car, or canada, some wire in canada are totally different than ours. and so is blk-red. (shown in FSM)
blk-red in canada is dome light wire (ground side)
on the USA car this is the main fuse on fender feed, called hot at all times.
that goes many places,

the other blk-red is start from the starter switch to ecu tells ecu you are cranking
'then goes to the clutch switch , to power it and other side of the clutch switch is blk-yellow. that goes to the starter soleond
so why is this connect on the wrong side of the fire wall?

[Image: 3_24_11_15_10_06_59.jpeg]

1994 8V 1.6L manual Tracker, how many doors, what trans, 5sp, is it 4wd?
need all that to use correct pages in the FSM.. for sure.
G16a engine, i see the 8v EGR in the photo.
5speed so there is no , TBody base heater in any 5sp. car.
does it have A/C? or had it? photo of right fender fuse box. shows major A/C relays there if ever. was. sockets. there.

the other blk-red run the main relay. hot pin. all time hot.
why is your clutch pedal switch harness in the engine bay?

as you can see, the bk-yel, wire cranks car.
but some owner find the connector and short it. so the clutch switch is bypassed, how they do that , is there call, lots of places.
i did it at the pedal switch (had a matching plug and jumper for emergancy, if switch failed off road.

that is the 94 print, 8v .. real.
the 5 speed reverse switch is way up top. on box. on lid here, http://www.fixkick.com/tranny/g16-5sp-top.JPG

the 4wd switch is on top the transfer case. (useless it just glows dash light) but on RWAL brakes may defeat the RWAL rear antilock in 4wd, id need to see master cylinder to tell what you really have. the 4wd switch is top rear of transfer box.
connectors.
that is single wire... not 2 as i thought. so is not egr. not sure what that is. but black yellow is starter solenoid, did PO put custom wires to starter to start it?

the 4 pin blue looks like 02 sensor conn. but on wrong side of engine.
the 5/6 (populated to 5 ( has me baffled, is the TPS wired? up? must be, cuz that conn pulled cuts the injector 2 wires open and will not run
so not that.
ill look more careful in morning and answer then. using colors as guide.

so many loose connectors, i agree , somethings wrong. here.

more later

high idle is vacuum leak or the dash pot on back of Tbody , is not retracting after start in 5-30seconds.
this engine makes full power (more) with all vacuum leaks.
vsig: It's USA and it's a 5spd 4wd 2 door has A/C but isn't charged. G16a engine.
ok , im up and drinking coffee.
that funny round connector has me baffled. never seen one...

Quote:Transmission harness: (are you asking for the transmission wiring,we have it.!) the 5sp with 4wd has only 4 connections, 2 for reverse and 2 for 4wd dash lamp.
Picture 1: white, blue, red/black, and black

Engine harness:
2 pin plug: black/red and black/yellow

square plug 4 pins: yellow, blue, red, black

square plug 5 pins: black, white, blue, orange/white, orange/black
single black wire is black/yellow

that signal wire is the color matching the key line color to the starter solenoid, so hows this car cranking , lacking this KEY (with pun) wire.
it can't so the PO (previous owners) have hand routed wire there, or remote start bs, or custom alarm wired there, its not stock. but only you can know or see this.
are you sure the engine was not changed out? hood sticker shows 8v engine,
the correct sticker is here. see that TBI in map-diagram.

this link below is the calif. version TAG. (its same for vacuum to a FEDERAL )
http://www.fixkick.com/specs/Body-TAGS/h...age_7.html

note the TBI in drawing and is one left side in the view (drivers right)
that is G16a engine, if your tag looks different then someone did and engine swap. this tag tell me what car was shipped with.
the other secret tag is the GM glove box tag called RPO that lists every option on car, day 1. i can decode them all
here is that table. (from GM microfiche)
http://www.fixkick.com/specs/RPO/RPO.html

car is basket case, or the results of someone else , wild work. and i cant see ALL that is there.
in real life, id open the hood and look under dash and know in an instant what you bought and what it was DAY1, (out of factory)
that is why i ask for tag data. instead of 100 photos. to solve what it was new.>?
the car has sub harnesses, seems some are missing , and why this is so confusing. but we can dope that out, 1 connector at a time.

so ill do this 1 by 1, I already found answer to the single Faston™ lug wire (crank key line to starter)
so next is.
Picture 1: white, blue, red/black, and black (you guess at transmission)
so ill do the trans 4 pins next.

first off, all black (no stripe) wires are ground. each have a name in the FSM (factory service manual) like G101.
the backup lamp, or reverse lamps are color coded RED or Brown red. and black is the other wire and is ground called G904 (2dr)
the feed side of the clutch switch other wire is yellow.(power)
that covers backup
now 4wd. wires, well, black again is ground, really both blacks are same wire, but is G200, for 4wd switch ground.
my book shows org-black,
now why does the colors fail me... answer, harness ends missing, ? from engine bay to trans?
Picture 1: white, blue, red/black, and black (i think this is not transmission feed)

the schematics pages are over 52 in count. for each system in the car.
takes me a while to scan all 52... for say one color (blue? or white or red-blk)
one of the 3 or all 3 will be a big clue.
the large white wire, in car, is a power feeds (fuse 13) dome lights. and others. including...headlights and park lamps, (white is raw hot all time power feed)
one red wire is A/C relays. fused power to A/C. and red wire is used on reverse lights too. (and un related)
that is because the A/C harness is a separate add on...
blue is used on door locks
red-black is also used on door looks. (i wonder does or did car have the ALARM option, if yes, then door look wiring goes to it too. )
i have no alarm wiring,, its missing in my FSM..
red-black is also used on the DRL module. (day light driving lights (mostly a canada car, and law ) red-blk is the brake warning light active. (cuts DRL)
blue is also , raw power feed. ignition on output.feed radio cigar fuse.
blue is also, RF radio speaker wire.
ok that is conn, one searched.

show me the glove box tag
open box, the RPO sticker is there, showing all options (lots there are.)
and all wiring points that look hacked.
is your oxygen sensor wired? on top center of exhaust manifold
on the right (drives perspective) are the sensors all near the thermostat wired?
IAT, ECT, dash gage temp sensor has 1 pin) with A/c there and oveheat sensor here too. 4 sensors in one spot on a/c cars...
those wired, 2 pins each>? IAT and ECT?
is the Throttle body ISC wired, 2 pins.?
its running so that means the Injector/TPS connector is plugged it, so no need look for this. it works

now the A/c
see this photo, see all those relays and sockets there, that is the addon, a/c harness, is all that there?
if not the harness is mission and does go to the main harness cab , logic box called the amp.
http://www.fixkick.com/AirCond/fuse-block-AC1.JPG

http://www.fixkick.com/AirCond/958v-bay-relays.jpg
or we could do ...???
what dont work?
and fix each 1 at a time. (much more easy)
when all works and still lots of connectors, that is normal on all cars made (options never opted)

i do not have the harness pages, as seen in the FSM, physical harness pages.. shows them all and there pig tails , sections.
but do have all schematics . alldata.com has them all too... log in and read.

options. not opted
alarm
DLR
door locks
door windows. elect.
RWAL (rear wheel antilock.
rear washer and wiper. option., (usually 4dr only)
auto aim head lights.
Cruise.
fog lamp option.
defogger.
A/C (1/2 there or all there...???)
electric mirrors
Calif . EGR.
Trailer package.

and more..

not knowing this, makes DISCOVERY very hard.
photo of RPM tag , shows all options. added.

i think fixing things that fail, 1 by 1 is best....

i first look at the engine sensors. all working , present and wired.
and insert the diagnostic jumper DLC and see if the CEL lamp flashes 12s. or not.

and GM did change some wire colors... just a few...GM= GEO=Tracker.
Put everything back together. Found out the previous owner converted the vehicle from automatic to manual transmission. When I start the vehicle everything seems to run fine except I have a hunting idle when I rev. Goes from 1100 to 2000 for about 10-20 seconds then idles at 1800. If I press the gas pedal or rev the engine it hunts again for another 10-20 seconds then idles again at 1800. Any suggestions to what this could be? Haven't noticed any vacuum leaks and I replaced most of the lines. Also my instrument panel lights won't come on. I replaced all the bulbs and connectors the bulbs go into yesterday and still no lights.
vsig: It's USA and it's a 5spd 4wd 2 door has A/C but isn't charged. G16a engine. 1994, 8v TBI engine, and with wrong ECU. (marked US-AT) on the case sticker.
now we have a full spec. to work.

yes, that is a problem. and there is a cure, your ECU is automatic but its not an automatic, so there is no park input.
easy huh?
to get idle right, you need many inputs to the ECU correct.
the park pin
the idle switch.
http://www.fixkick.com/ECU/8v-tbi-schematic91to95.jpg

see this , see pin B11 (12v cranking, 0v running, it must not be 12v running) (this is park pin on this ECU)
then B12, this is the crank pin.
if not clutch switch wanted, do you have one?
if not clutch switch then jumper b11 to B12 and then to starter key line. per the drawing above.
pin A14 must be 0v at idle. if not idle controls are dead
the eCu must flash code 12s on demand , does it? DTC diag jumper clip , inserted? seem you cant,,,,,

the dash needs power to the cluster, that is one fuse.
then the CEL lamp needs to be good, then its other wire must go to the ECU. at B13
if that happens then the CEL glows key on, if that happens the DLC jumper starts working.

page 1 and to cover the dash cluster, MIL/CEL lamp. only takes 1 wires;. to work.
see c2 pin 5 and c1 pin 1

pin 5 is 12vdc key on, if not, that wire is cut.
pin 1 is 0v keyon. causing lamp to glow, the eCU does that to say, IM booted ok, only
http://www.fixkick.com/power-elect/95%20...racker.pdf
Thanks for all the help! This has been a HUGE pain to figure everything out. I should have everything finished tonight so I'll know if what you said helped everything. Since it's an auto harness I've read that some people leave the TCC disconnected and others hook it up to a toggle switch. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do about that or how to hook up a toggle switch?
the TCC out of ECU is missing
as is the harness.
the ECU might throw and error, for no TCC lockup, but mine never did doing this for 1 full year. not one time.
The ECU would have to monitor speedo RPM to do that. (3speed box has no INSIDE tranny speed sensors)
the USA ECU does not have, 61 to 66 codes seen on some newer Vitara's not here. transmission codes. <seen only outside USA.
so my guess this is where you were reading outside, country, ...
but you dont have a TCC . at all.
this ECU just sets the TCC blindly , as on output. (using speed and load lookup tables).
on newer cars, this will trip errors. fast. (even late shifting or slipping box)

if it dont work right buy the M/T ECU, i kept a spare all the time, as they are not just laying around, ready to buy,,,
the clutch switch can be bypassed, drove mine like that for weeks waiting for a switch.