Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loud clunk when shifting from P to R on A/T 4speed
there are many causes for a clunk. (RPM engine normal)
1: play from the rear of transmission the rear axle. 2H mode.
that is a long way on all 4wd, can be in transmission main, transfer case, all those splines and axle gears. and even axle splines, long long path.
finding that out is not easy. (ask a shop that deals in this?)
what I do use use my stethoscope, and listen to the main box. if the noise is not there, then move to the transfer case, and if not there, the rear axle and if not there, its bad u-joints. ever seen them with dry bearings (inside) ????
yes, seen folks replace very expensive parts and then just a bad $15 Ujoint. why folks dont use the stethoscope first and use that logic to say, gee i cant find the noise, so must be joints.. (after all you cant clamp my stethoscope microphone to a spinning axle so,,, its last to diagnose but first to suspect.

2: the transmission when shifted to Reverse, this is a mechanical...
the A/T manual valve moves from P to R, and sends fluid pressure to the reverse clutch.
if the accumulator or regulator is bad, this pressure CAN BE extreme and will be loud.
that is why they test the transmission on a test stand (last step) to find all this out before installed in a car.

finding noises, cause, without tools and help and skills. is very very hard.

3: bad transmission mounts? or just loose? will make noise if loose or bad.

finding noises sources on any machine lacking tools to do just that, is hard to impossible.
your mech lacks these tools?
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Loud clunk when shifting from P to R on A/T 4speed - by fixkick - 11-21-2015, 04:16 AM