Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loud clunk when shifting from P to R on A/T 4speed
(11-20-2015, 12:34 AM)fixkick Wrote: many shops that only do transmissions, may assume you did all that. (what shop is this (type)?)
He used to work on a popular shop here in PR and now he is on his own, but has 30years experience working on A/T. That does not mean that he did all things correct and the way they are suposse to be done. I was not there so he could have skipped (or his employees) many procedures.
and blame the solenoids. (i think he is full of beans.... )
That can only found out when I ask him about all these other things to test.
but i can't drive car, hear that noise nor test for it using my stethoscope a real shop in town will do all that.
A full service shop. or a real transmission shop, like AAMCO here, in states.

why jump to conclusions and then ask for pricing?,,,, that is dead last.
He was not asking for pricing. He told me before overhauling tranny when it was disassembled about how expensive those solenoids are if, and only if, they needed replacement.
the 2 solenoids shift 1,2,3,4, (see my TCM page yet?
Many times, but I can take look again to verify.
the 3rd solenoid selects TCC lock. only,
there is no Rev. solenoid.
But there are electrical test for them that can let technician know if they are bad? Just like when we test sensors? Or that won't reveal squat?

no ,bad solenoids are not repairable. they are replaced. (not by you or a local shop)
THE KEY:
the key to finding this out , is WHERE IS THAT CLunk, the shifter moves the manual valve to R, the manual valve sends pressure to the reverse clutch.
and it engages, there are parts in the valve body (did he overhaul that,or skip all that) called accumulators.
if they are jammed up. the trans will go to REverse
in a brutal fashion, the manual valve selects reverse, not the solenoids.... so?
why are you blaming them (or him)
Him. But I surely will tell him about this other possibilities.
my guess, is he never touched the valve body, which is part of any overhaul.... (the solenoids are tested then , on the bench) electric and fluid checks. under pressure.
He told me he was going to do a full clean up of the valve body and I presume inspect but not sure about bench testing it. Doubt it.
(if he did overhaul the body, (seals new, and inspected and tested) he might of put some parts back upside down. causing accumulators buffer valves to fail. causing hard shifts.
Who knows, but this clunk when selecting R was happening before.
ever seen hot rodders , modify valve bodies to get brutal hard shafts for racing,? study that to see if this is happening.
what if 2 springs were swapped on accumulators.? (a pro shop, marks all part or bags them, for SURE parts that seem the same but are not.(springs)
Again I was not there, so like I said, not sure. I did it while doing my buggy rebuild.

i guess the overhaul was a partial?

a pro shop sells this for $1500 and is 100% tested before it ships
see that here. see that engine test stand, i guess your guy tests it , inside your car? at your expense? (wash ,wear , repeat$$$$$)
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/...sions.html
I will do my hands on testing. Ill report to you my findings and let him know about this other things that can be tested.

Thanks!!
Sidekick 94, 1.6L Engine 16v
4 spd Auto Tranny
4 Door 2RWD
Puerto Rico

Messages In This Thread
RE: Loud clunk when shifting from P to R on A/T 4speed - by zukitrek - 11-20-2015, 01:54 AM