Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MPI 16v injector replacement
Ok. But why or how car makers dictated the average MPG in the car sticker that you sent. Of course they had their special tools at the time of testing the car, but for a non teck average joe like me or most of car buyers, I drive out of the dealer back in 1994 and say wow 19 to up to 28MPG, oh gee How can I verify that? All this with a brand new car and buyer being curious about that fact?

(11-17-2015, 01:09 AM)fixkick Wrote: \with 1 or more injector (electric)
Is my car different in this area?

nobody takes a old car and upgrades to 0BD2
I know you don't like Honda, I respect that, but here and there (USA) lots old honda cars are upgrade to 96+ engines, even my old buggy versions.
Im not saying that this good or bad, but is done by a lot of people. Don't know on the Suzuki world.

working on OBD1 cars, is not easy , ever. (unless we have the luck of he Irish)?
A real scan tool can be had, if you want to save all that hard work....
case in point, what if the 02 Closed loop is dead..???
case2: what if the ECU gets lost, while injection (obd1 has no, IM lost. DTC ,like OBD2 has)
by lost I mean , the ECU has no full control or injection rates. and is guessing, or hunting endlessly to do that.
The ECU has no redundant sensor, so must trust them 100% (it does , dead sensors , im talking accurate sensors that are not biased)
the ECU reads a sensor and if its , not open or shorted, believes it.
this is where a scan tool Shines.
The human looks at the data and sees, omg, that it totally wrong,
say ECT reads -10f when its really 50F..... see how humans are 100x smarter than any ECU on earth??
same with the MAP or MAF, and IAT, and 02.
same with fuel trim.
and all data in to the ECU.

no scope
no duty meter.
no mpg gauge.(to solve mpg problems )
no scan tool.
this is called working blind...... and all results will be hard earned if at all.

So you would suggest getting a complete 96+ car instead?
And turn the 94 to a turbo version? LOL!!!
Sidekick 94, 1.6L Engine 16v
4 spd Auto Tranny
4 Door 2RWD
Puerto Rico
sure , some do. like 1 in a zillion?
This is no Honda, its a suzuki, nobody races Suzuki's it's a super underdog, in fact chapter 11 here.. and in Canada, YUGO status.! Daewood, Isuzu,etc. dead meat.
first the cost, ever price parts at wrecking yard,??
or buy a donor car to strip? (dead cars here go for like $500)
here (wrecker parts)are like 1/2 prices of new.. so any upgrades will cost a small fortune.
i love honda';s but the open deck blocks i do hate.
(great new, but not so great 20 years old, see?){loves to blow head gaskets .unless pull block and mill the deck)

price out the full harness, and new ECU and all the OBD2 sensor and actuator changes..
then the hard labor replacing the harness and finding the instrument cluster is dead, yes, it needs to be changed too. (or hacked up)

why not just by the rhino tool and save all that work and costs. (and grief)
OBD2 is great. but not if makes you fail smog for EGR not working or dead/lazy CAT , or transmission shifting wrong, (and more, misfire? P0300's)
your car don't glow the CEL for bad trans, and is good thing, at any smog station.

some times upgrades are down grades.
depends on you, and or you smog man....

in other countries, the EGR tests are not active. (no code 51s or P0400s)
so is a benefit to them.... not wasting a week end cleaning a mile egr paths of carbon/.

then finding a good ECU this old. can be very expensive...
$100 if lucky. (fleabay , non scalper)
$400 at Cardone...(fully Guaranteed.) or more.....
will need a new intake manifold obd2. for egr to work.
need, the cat with the tail 02 sensor. (cat monitor to not fail)
i forget if the injectors work. id have to look that up. (flow rate spec.s etc)

don't get me wrong!
if i found a dead, honda with blown head gasket , for say $200,, id fix it. (id pull the engine...)
the car I like is the MR2. ( grew up driving (restored) Triumphs and TR6. the latter is cool of the coolest.! car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MR2

even the first ones. lust.... (lack space to garage it now... no more 4 car garage here,,, very hard to find them here in tx. )
even sidekicks are very rare here, see one a week or less on the road moving... here. (and no used parts here at all for them! zippo)
in the future, it will be less.... as they rust out or crash.

not subject to smog
do like many have done. (samuria and sidekicks)
take off the EFI and put on the HARLEY CV kit. (constant velocity carb)<<< most easy carb on earth to tune, unlike any WEBER.

needs the cam shaft drown grade kit, for distributor that had mechanical advance 1989/90 G16a

but , id not, i get the rhino tool,.
and tune it. and log it. see if all sensors and parameter read good, at all times hot and under adverse driving (vibration )etc.
the data is here, its in the 1995 FSM book clear as day.

see the 31 PID functions here

http://www.fixkick.com/ECU/Tech1/full_scan2.html

watch them driving
or better log them. driving, best of best there is. is that. live logs....
http://www.fixkick.com/ECU/Tech1/full_scan2.html
http://www.fixkick.com