Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1990 GEO Tracker LXI - HOSE, Brake Booster Vacuum Hose (Intake)
Hello,

Wow! This my be a bit odd but today, I was checking over the Tracker before winter sets in, and I came across a split in the Brake Booster Vacuum Hose (Intake side). I haven't noticed anything odd in terms brake pedal resistance, surging engine, etc. Anyway, I pulled at the hose and it literally split - right at the end of the intake ferrule/port.

Ok, I''m thinking I'll just find this part online cross referencing Suzuki numbers. The Suzuki part number that I found was: 51831-60A01

Seems this part is no longer available. So I start looking at the hose and see that it's an 11/32 vacuum hose, thinking I'll just buy a bulk piece to replace it.

Here's where the question comes in...I noticed on the hose that it has arrows pointing that say something like "Norm Engine" pointing towards the intake. I can't be sure but that's what it looks like. Also, I started looking inside the hose to see if there was any reducer and (It could be a huge pile of build-up from blow-by) right where it split, was a blockage. It didn't clean out but felt gummy like it could have been deteriorated rubber. First question; Should there be any type of reducer in the hose where it clamps at the intake?

Second question; Does anyone know if there is an alternate number for 51831-60A01? Or is it as simple as buying a piece of 11/32 vacuum hose if there is indeed no reducer?

Thanks for any insight!
is this just a hose crack, only hose, ?
the fitting on the booster has a check valve. that would not be easy to get.
the hose is just a hose. vacuum. and some vacuum hoses when cracked they can self seal due to that vacuum there.
but we all know that is just pure luck.

i dont know there are reducers,
that arrow is just for formed hoses, custom fit perfect hoses, so the arrow makes it easy to put on , say the old one is lost.
id say if the booster side fittings looks ok ,just use any hose, vacuum hose or other hoses , all gas,oil or smog hose rated.
best is vac/ smog rated.
yes these hoses melt, seen many do that. even only 15 years old.

the check valve allows the booster to retain a vacuum , while engine vacuum drops to zero, at wide open throttle. like vacuum accumulator.
your are ON TRACK!
http://www.fixkick.com
Thanks Fixkick,

The booster hose in question is the one running from the firewall steel line to the manifold. I don't know if I finally ended it's life by moving it back-and-forth or if it was sealing up as you suggest?!?

I was able to find more info in regards to the hose specs by examining the hose on the booster side. It had an SAE J1403 stamp along with the 11/32 indication. Unfortunetly, my local parts store didn't have it in stock BUT Amazon carries a Gates model 27232 (same specs) that is 3ft in length.

The more that I look at the inner wall of that hose, I'm convinced it looks that way due to age & heat stress causing it to mold against the end of the manifold inlet. The blow-by only adds to more inner wall reduction. The hose is almost rock-hard 3 inches away from the manifold.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question--I appreciate it! I'll post an update after installing the Gates hose in the hope that someone else may find it useful.
end of life on hose, all do that , this old, all do., ever single 1990 did this....
25 long years of heat, and fumes. (egr and pCV fumes live here, nasty stuff)
if the fitting on the booster is ok, not damaged, then just replace the hose.
any hose rated for oil , vacuum or PCV works, here. that SAE spec is just that,
the parts on car all all metric, this is the only problem working on jap cars. metric hoses, finding them that fit can be a small pain.
suzuki sells it.

low end hose.
this hose here , lower center and fat, is the booster vacuum hose
the spec on a hose this large is for (fumes, oil, gas, EGR fumes, and PCV fumes(blowby gasses) and will not collapse under 30" HG of vacuum.
a thick wall vacuum hose , matches that demand.
i see suzuki dont carry it now. too.
what I do is caliper my pipe there, OD size. then convert that to metric, lets say its. 0.7" x 25.4 = 17.8mm so i buy a 15mm ID hose.
just an example there, i dont have 90s here.
its even worst, measure the pipe and buy the next undersize hose. in inches....
or remove one of the 2 fittings, and take it to Napa store and find hose that fits well, that will not collapse under hard fast deceleration.

or mike it and tell my the number and can help.
calipers are a needed thing in any metric car shop to fit up parts.
With the exception of it not being molded like the original, the bulk Gates 11/32 model 27232 is perfect ID and OD.

Thanks again for taking your time to answer my question. Best wishes to you Fixkick!
thanks,
8.73mm ID, that is. gringo to metric. conversion.,
so my guess is stock is 8mm? but if too tight be 9mm hose.
thanks for feed back ;others will find that handy,