Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust Advice
I tried to replace my catalytic converter on my 1993 16v 4dr 4x4 sidekick yesterday and ran into some problems. I was sheared off a the front stud in my exhaust manifold. I took it off to try to see if I could get the stud out and found the #4 cylinder was cracked most of the way around. at this point i'm ready to get the thorley headers from rock road.

I already bought the replacement CAT and silencer section that I would have needed to fit the stock 93 exhaust manifold. amazon links below.

CAT

Muffler

Now I'll need to return some parts... at least the cat.

Can someone who has the thorley headers recommend a cat that will join up to the silencer section I already have?

Thanks,

Todd
the 93 can have the long header or short (2 types then) long is what it became full time in 93cal and 94fed on. and the pipes that fit up are all different
see the link below for photos of all setups.

many after market parts, are not OE FIT. (note how they avoid the sales killer word)
if they are, then stock parts to rear fit.
some folks (calif) have to run OE Fit parts, or that are Calif certified. i cant guess your state. nor if subject to smog checks. all that matter.
if in calif, the mech, can not use the wrong parts, or goes to jail..... so that matters too.

baring all those issues....
id use the parts made by, Wagner ,as seen on rockauto. (do not mix, 2door /4door and 8v/16v engine parts)
then make it fit. even if i have to weld up and header to cat adapter. (the header flange is key part to own) to the rear i can buy generic flanges... all day.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframec...type=10727

http://www.fixkick.com/buy-parts.html#Thorley

716 means 16v.

most cats sold are generic. you get to make the adaptor (just pipe end)
others have a generic flange 2 bolt. you get to make up and adaptor.
OE fit, fits your stock headers. the OE cats fits only the OE front adpator by suzuki, (a know bad parts) there are 3 cats, 2 for 16v and 1 for 8v. OE.
the Thorley page avoids this dual header fact!!! 1993+ just 50 state legal....

here is the official pages, lots of hype. (mPG bs and HP) and the Samurai lie, no sammi was sold with 16v head.)

http://shop.dougthorleyheaders.com/produ...hy-716y-ss

the Calmini header (short it is) and is clearly fitting (almost?) the short 92 engine only or 93 fed.
is not legal. in most states, as it says so....

the Suzuki had 2 exh. manifolds, 92 to 95 (1 engine) 93' calif rules, caused this change.

the long man, started in 1993 but...
and the silly suzuki front of cat adapter fails.
It has a double wall front of cat pipe that collapses inside and engine dies. (TSB recall posted on my page there)

id avoid all that and run custom pipe from the header to cat. (no double walls) just pipe and flanges.
then run stock OE fit exhaust to rear of cat (cat back exh. of any kind really)

id say none of those headers are OE fit.... calimini might fit, 1992 (the 3 bolt holes there , might fit the collapsed down pipe, ? LOL. not tried by me.

personally id run all custom. (no smog here) YMMI, YSMV (your smog may vary)
a Thorley, and a tube only tiny modern 2Liters $99 cat, close mounted to header flange, as possible to get faster light off..... and custom cat back. with a sst muff. (id use the wanger rear pipes....pre bent perfectly)

one trick is to take off the old cat and bits front , carry that...
and have a shop weld up a custom adapter to what you want.
the issue there, is the new header is too long... so that makes this very hard.
and they dont even spec it out... how long and what angle.

in a shop, they, tig/mig tack weld it up on place (as needed)
then take it all down. and weld it all up, 100% at all new flanges.
making the front flange bolt on.
this cures the non oe fit issues.
http://www.fixkick.com
(10-17-2015, 10:37 PM)fixkick Wrote: the 93 can have the long header or short (2 types then) long is what it became full time in 93cal and 94fed on. and the pipes that fit up are all different
see the link below for photos of all setups.

many after market parts, are not OE FIT. (note how they avoid the sales killer word)
if they are, then stock parts to rear fit.
some folks (calif) have to run OE Fit parts, or that are Calif certified. i cant guess your state. nor if subject to smog checks. all that matter.
if in calif, the mech, can not use the wrong parts, or goes to jail..... so that matters too.

baring all those issues....
id use the parts made by, Wagner ,as seen on rockauto. (do not mix, 2door /4door and 8v/16v engine parts)
then make it fit. even if i have to weld up and header to cat adapter. (the header flange is key part to own) to the rear i can buy generic flanges... all day.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframec...type=10727

http://www.fixkick.com/buy-parts.html#Thorley

716 means 16v.

most cats sold are generic. you get to make the adaptor (just pipe end)
others have a generic flange 2 bolt. you get to make up and adaptor.
OE fit, fits your stock headers. the OE cats fits only the OE front adpator by suzuki, (a know bad parts) there are 3 cats, 2 for 16v and 1 for 8v. OE.
the Thorley page avoids this dual header fact!!! 1993+ just 50 state legal....

here is the official pages, lots of hype. (mPG bs and HP) and the Samurai lie, no sammi was sold with 16v head.)

http://shop.dougthorleyheaders.com/produ...hy-716y-ss

the Calmini header (short it is) and is clearly fitting (almost?) the short 92 engine only or 93 fed.
is not legal. in most states, as it says so....

the Suzuki had 2 exh. manifolds, 92 to 95 (1 engine) 93' calif rules, caused this change.

the long man, started in 1993 but...
and the silly suzuki front of cat adapter fails.
It has a double wall front of cat pipe that collapses inside and engine dies. (TSB recall posted on my page there)

id avoid all that and run custom pipe from the header to cat. (no double walls) just pipe and flanges.
then run stock OE fit exhaust to rear of cat (cat back exh. of any kind really)

id say none of those headers are OE fit.... calimini might fit, 1992 (the 3 bolt holes there , might fit the collapsed down pipe, ? LOL. not tried by me.

personally id run all custom. (no smog here) YMMI, YSMV (your smog may vary)
a Thorley, and a tube only tiny modern 2Liters $99 cat, close mounted to header flange, as possible to get faster light off..... and custom cat back. with a sst muff. (id use the wanger rear pipes....pre bent perfectly)

one trick is to take off the old cat and bits front , carry that...
and have a shop weld up a custom adapter to what you want.
the issue there, is the new header is too long... so that makes this very hard.
and they dont even spec it out... how long and what angle.

in a shop, they, tig/mig tack weld it up on place (as needed)
then take it all down. and weld it all up, 100% at all new flanges.
making the front flange bolt on.
this cures the non oe fit issues.

Thanks for all the help. I decided to go with the thorley headers. I bolted them up and they look great. They didn't come with with new hardware for the studs. my nuts were all rusted and pitted so i got some new ones.

Now I just need to get a CAT. I'm trying to keep my setup bolt on easily replaceable with aftermarket parts available online. I have to wait until next time I get paid but I'm looking at this cat (Magnaflow 22626 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter (Non CARB compliant)). Anyone know if this will bolt directly to the thorley headers?
same here , got SST™ nuts... no rust again. "stainless steel"
if not in calif forget CARB. carb rules are insane hard, it has to be on a LIST. or OMG failed. just looking they can fail you...
but if only want FED rules to pass , (on a dyno roller Im-240 tests done in smog stations, any 3way cat works.
if only to make you happy (no HC stink"fumes" ) any cat 2L sized , mounted farthest forward works.

lots of issues with cats, besides fit.
some need it to work.

id dont know if it will fit... sorry.
http://www.fixkick.com