Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi and thanks for the help so far
Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I've been checking this site out quite a bit recently. You all have been very helpful so far whether you know it or not.

A little background

I bought my 1993 Sidekick JX this summer after I hit a deer and totaled my Ep3 Honda civic Si
sorry for your loss and welcome
RIP the deer .

hope it helps you !@

cheers
http://www.fixkick.com
Cont'd from above... i'm not really sure why it didn't post all my text. maybe i wrote too much. maybe the iphone is whacky...

anyway

I knew I wanted a vehicle with 4x4. I was sick of having to find someone to ride with to go kayaking where access to the river requires a higher clearance vehicle... Or having to put, mufflers/bumpers in the car for the ride home after they were forcibly separated from the vehicle.

Somehow I came across the sidekick located a few hours east... Near where I grew up. I met up with the seller who was asking $1900. Took it for a test drive... Made sure the 4x4 worked and offered $1600. The speedo/odometer doesn't work... Not since 164,xxx miles. It came with 30x10.5x15 super swamped tsls on it. They rub I the back the the suspension is really flexing.

Here's a list of what I've done so far:

When I got it it didn't have an air filter... So I put a cheap short ram intake on it.

After. Few hundred miles of driving #2 spark plug shot out while I was driving. I got a tow back to the house. Upon removal I found gapless spark plugs which were nearly all loose. I installed new plugs and wires. It sounds a lot better now.

A few weeks later we were on a rough dirt road and the front gas tank mount broke off leaving my tank barely holding on by the rear mounts. I strapped it back up for the rest of the trip with a cam strap and welded a beefy 1/4" strap that bolts on to the threaded holes in the frame when I got home.

Since then I've pulled the carpet (which had about a quart of great oil soaked in by the looks of it), patched 8 holes through the tub and Herculined the whole tub after.

I work at a sewing factory so I made myself a set of waterproof 3mm neoprene waterproof seat covers for the front seats. I leave the rear seat out. When we have company I put it back in or just throw a climbing crash pad in the back.

I noticed the temp gauge is always on the cold side so I replaced the stock thermostat with the Stant 192 degree. It's gotten a little warmer but is still always on the cold side especially down a big hill.

My exhaust was about to fall of last week so I just ordered a new cat and silencer section. Should have that on this week.

I've been hearing a troubling noise intermittently coming from the fan area. Sounds like a ball bearing is now a dice cube somewhere in the accessory belt mix. It only happens sometimes but the intermittent noise has been happening more frequently. I suspect the water pump because the surrounding belts have been a little wet after I've heard the noise and gotten out to inspect. It looks like it's been weeping and there's a little hydraulic groaning noise that's hard to pinpoint... I had originally thought the power steering pump from the noise.

Just ordered a water pump and timing belt parts so hopefully that takes care of the problem.

Should I also take a look at the fan clutch. I'm not really able to figure out how to test that?

I really love the sidekick. It's a cool little capable vehicle. So far I've really only changed the oil. Next I'd like to replace all the gear oils. Anything else to check?

Thanks,

Todd
hello 93 jx (is it 8valve or 16valve head ?) 4wd, but is is it 3sp/4speed or 5speed stick?

bad speedo cable. (odometer never fails much but speedo can) but cable is bad, (assumes gear in tail shaft spins , sure)
id not use gap-less plugs on this low energy system its know to fail. use real spark plugs the $1.49 are GReat gapped at 0.028"

noises, on front of engine
dont run it ,yet, check the crank large 17mm bolt first. make sure its at 94ft/lbs (this is undate from suz.) it must not be run below that torque.
turn bolt CW. direction. facing rear of car. use deep wall socket 17mm. (if 5speed, box, use 5th gear to do this, hand brake set very hard)
pump and belt good. upkeep... .that...
the clutch is easy, or hard (fan) depends on tools. (i have optical rpm meter for $15)

running cold, is fan stuck locked up.. , it have to be cold outside to cause rad to super cool like that, like in alaska cold.
my guess is the temp gauge, sender is fibbing or you have air pockets in head. (coolant low, in rad actual?)

the factory data and test are here

http://www.fixkick.com/overheating.html#clutch

this car run great off road, the 2door is only 2000 lbs, top off, and read seat off, less.. less is more able off road.

your rear axle has mount on top, a wish bone , mount, make sure all that is working and not rusted through.
and the 2 side rear track rods are good, and not loose.
watch out for top of tank rust trough....

and if one axle likes to slip. 1 tire, off road. (or ice)
then drag your brakes, and now get free LSD actions. car will move in 4wd true, with that trick
my new JK jeep does that in software..... drags brakes for virtual LSD.
an amazing thing to watch, and do....
this free trick cures the open axles habits, in a pinch.
haha. that deer had me laughing at my computer screen!

My 93 JX is a 16valve 4WD, 5 speed with A/C and Power steering.

I read about the spark plugs on your page before I replaced mine. I replaced them as you suggested and gapped them at .028.

I appreciate the advice on the speedo cable. I live in the middle of nowhere in the mountains (no police to pull you over...) so it hasn't been a top priority. I'll have some time to work on it this week so i'll try to take a look at that.

I'll check out the 17mm crank bolt tonight to make sure its 94ft/lbs in 5th gear with handbrake on and wheels chocked.

I'll read a little more about the fan clutch on your page...might as well do that while i'm there with the water pump. I'm fairly confident there's not any air bubbles in the system I let it run for about 10 min's with fan on high and hot while working the top hose to push bubbles out when replacing the stat. is the recommended technique?

I ordered a new cat and exhaust last week. I tried to install it last night and the old cat was a pain to remove. The studs were so rusted below the nuts that two of the studs came out of the exhaust manifold and one (the front stud) sheared off right at the exhaust manifold. I guess i'm getting new exhaust manifold since i really doubt that thing half a sud is coming out. When looking at your exhaust page I noticed some models appear to have only the two studs in the rear and none in the front. For a second I thought about installing the new cat minus the 3rd front stud... only the two rear ones... but I figured it would probably not make a perfect seal as the exhaust manifold flange was designed for 3 bolts. What do you think?

Thanks for the advice on braking to get LSD action! I learned that one on my mom's farm plowing with old tractors... wheel brakes are awesome.

Sounds like i need to get an optical RPM meter. Thanks again.

(10-13-2015, 01:15 AM)fixkick Wrote: hello 93 jx (is it 8valve or 16valve head ?) 4wd, but is is it 3sp/4speed or 5speed stick?

bad speedo cable. (odometer never fails much but speedo can) but cable is bad, (assumes gear in tail shaft spins , sure)
id not use gap-less plugs on this low energy system its know to fail. use real spark plugs the $1.49 are GReat gapped at 0.028"

dont run it ,yet, check the crank large 17mm bolt first. make sure its at 94ft/lbs (this is undate from suz.) it must not be run below that torque.
turn bolt CW. direction. facing rear of car. use deep wall socket 17mm. (if 5speed, box, use 5th gear to do this, hand brake set very hard)
the clutch is easy, or hard (fan) depends on tools. (i have optical rpm meter for $15)

running cold, is fan stuck locked up.. , it have to be cold outside to cause rad to super cool like that, like in alaska cold.
my guess is the temp gauge, sender is fibbing or you have air pockets in head. (coolant low, in rad actual?)

this car run great off road, the 2door is only 2000 lbs, top off, and read seat off, less.. less is more able off road.

your rear axle has mount on top, a wish bone , mount, make sure all that is working and not rusted through.

then drag your brakes, and now get free LSD actions. car will move in 4wd true, with that trick
(10-13-2015, 02:24 AM)Huckh2o Wrote: haha. that deer had me laughing at my computer screen!

My 93 JX is a 16valve 4WD, 5 speed with A/C and Power steering.

I read about the spark plugs on your page before I replaced mine. I replaced them as you suggested and gapped them at .028.

I appreciate the advice on the speedo cable. I live in the middle of nowhere in the mountains (no police to pull you over...) so it hasn't been a top priority. I'll have some time to work on it this week so i'll try to take a look at that.

I'll check out the 17mm crank bolt tonight to make sure its 94ft/lbs in 5th gear with handbrake on and wheels chocked.

I'll read a little more about the fan clutch on your page...might as well do that while i'm there with the water pump. I'm fairly confident there's not any air bubbles in the system I let it run for about 10 min's with fan on high and hot while working the top hose to push bubbles out when replacing the stat. is the recommended technique?

I ordered a new cat and exhaust last week. I tried to install it last night and the old cat was a pain to remove. The studs were so rusted below the nuts that two of the studs came out of the exhaust manifold and one (the front stud) sheared off right at the exhaust manifold. I guess i'm getting new exhaust manifold since i really doubt that thing half a sud is coming out. When looking at your exhaust page I noticed some models appear to have only the two studs in the rear and none in the front. For a second I thought about installing the new cat minus the 3rd front stud... only the two rear ones... but I figured it would probably not make a perfect seal as the exhaust manifold flange was designed for 3 bolts. What do you think?

Thanks for the advice on braking to get LSD action! I learned that one on my mom's farm plowing with old tractors... wheel brakes are awesome.

Sounds like i need to get an optical RPM meter. Thanks again.

(10-13-2015, 01:15 AM)fixkick Wrote: hello 93 jx (is it 8valve or 16valve head ?) 4wd, but is is it 3sp/4speed or 5speed stick?

Appreciate all the help. I replaced the water pump (leaking fluid out bleed hole), timing belt and accessory belts. While i was there I found the horrible noise was coming from the alternator front bearing. I replaced the alternator. The 17mm crank bolt was torqued to 96lb/ft. so i didn't take it off and replace the seal. I was sick, cold, and short on daylight. I'll have to do that another time in the future. I don't have a new fan clutch yet but i see that in my future as well As soon as i get my exhaust figured out from the headers back i'll be back on the road. Thanks again.
sorry you had to work sick that is NO FUN.
sounds like getting closer to full ops.
great !