Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got spark, got fuel, got compression, no start :/
(09-29-2015, 05:15 AM)DesmondGhostRider Wrote: Hey guys I just bought a 91 Geo Tracker 8 valve and I'm having a few problems. This thing was rigged when I got it and I'm trying to track down the issues. Thank you in advance for any help you give!
you're welcome.
First off electrical.
I have check engine light (running?) but when I jump the connector pin 2 and 3 it does not flash codes.
its B to C pins. (if 4 pins)
http://www.fixkick.com/CEL/DLC/DiagJump.html

No under dash switch has been found. its where eyes cant go, its on the lower center kick panel, the nag switch, makes CEL glow running.
it is here, if not a CALIF car. only USA and only FED cars.

http://www.fixkick.com/CEL/mileage-cancel-sw-1w.jpg

Vac sensor on engine with blue connector clicks nonstop showing 12v on wire. That is the VSV valve.
there are 3 VSV.
1-EGR blue.
2-EVAP
3-dash pot. which one>?

ah blue code, i almost forgot they have colors.
in most cases its ECU gone nuts. that. (the corner ECU cap , biggest is dried out. is your BLACK?
center line inboard rear vsv is blue.(pair of VSV ) the isolated VSV is EVAP. it goes to evap can.
the blue on Throttle body is ISC valve.
and that one, the blue behind front VSV is the EGR VSV.
and is never open, at idle, unless the idle switch fails (TPS) or the ECU IS CRASHING.
does the under hood vacuum sticker say CALIF?

-----
What I've done

Followed fix kick procedure on setting the distributor

New timing belt install. Lined up cam mark with the 60 mark.
Tried rotating crank 180 degrees to make sure that wasnt the problem.

All fuses and relays tested

Opened ecu and no damage to capacitors. (the can leak or dry out and look good, but have 0uf capacitance, and will never work. like that.
Had electronics friend check board and he says it all looks good and used a Vom on the diodes and capacitors to check.
Caps need cap meter or ESR meter. or its just wasted effort if they look good.

New spark plugs gaped correctly

Checked each spark plug wire and getting good spark.

Replaced bad fuel pump (car sat for 2 years and it went bad)
ahhh engine is dead...
Removed air intake pipe and cleaned the injector. the injector can watched cranking or running, its not like the MPI engine at all. can watch.
Don't seem to be getting an injector pulse, but idk if it's just bc my dvom is so slow. (it will be slow, 5/1000 of second you cant see with any DMM.
takes scope or , NOID LIGHT)
the ECu will not inject if it sees bad spark (3 ways) and if it sees full time wide open throttle on the TPS (called unflood mode, cuts all fuel.

Looked down in the throttle body and there is gas. (it sprays)

Spark plugs are wet. (spark timing ok?) and all 4 sparking?)

Backfires through the intake. (means spark timing way off or worse cam) Im answering serially so watch out... for me..... LOL

Backfire indicates that my timing is off, but ive checked it many times and it is right where it needs to be. (using timing light ? Strobe, and is near 0degrees BTDC?)?????

Good battery

-----

I don't know what's up with this thing. I've tried to check everything ,the right way ,instead of just guessing. Belt and plugs needed to be replaced anyway so I went ahead and sreplaced em. I've got a bit of cash left for this so if I need a tool or something to do this right I can prob handle that.
dont worry its easy to find , glad to help you, is compression over 150PSI x 4?

I own a 95 16 valve tracker as well that runs. I can try swapping compatible parts across to it, if I know what I'm looking for.
the parts are different, just block same and (not pistons) are same, rest is all different , head, and EFI.

I really appreciate any help yall can offer I'm truly stumped and I want to fix it myself instead of taking it somewhere.
WE can , i promise, if you have 2 more tools, DMM (you have) STROBE LIGHT AND COMPRESSION GAUGE. (VACUUM GAUGE Can help as can fuel pressure gauge, but for now spark light. then compression.

The previous owner took it to a shop and they put one of those after market fuel pumps oreillys sells for carbonated cars.
They had it setup with a house dimmer switch to turn the flow up and down for the gas. :/ I removed all the aftermarket shit and reconnected all the stock wires together.

yes that fuel pump deal is real bad.... if done wrong, needs 60psi external pump, (shunt rated)
the FPR on the TB will regulate that down to 35. or so.
but for get the past horrors.

so lets do the easy stuff first , get the CEL working first.
so we can see it flash and if it cant flash it is DEAD for sure.

lamp works. we can test the lamp, easy,

the nag first, of hood tag says, CALIF it has no nag.

if a true canada tracker, with E28 tag, then it has no nag, that sticker means the max to me...
the E03 fed car has the nag, the E33 cal car has no nag.

the hood tag that says just this is NAG car.
here is 95 with same engine
this is a FED tag, see those EPA words?

http://www.fixkick.com/specs/Body-TAGS/h...age_8.html

this gets us off on right foot, are you in USA?

keep the faith!
get CEL working, key on CEL on (is it), nag switch off, jumper B to C see code 12 flash , it must or ECU is toast, "caps, 99% time for sure wet sparks"
get good over 150PSI . compression
get spark timed near 0.
spark wire routed 1,3,4,2, do not read GM book it will be wrong, its CW rotor rotation. your MPI car goes other way....CCW
http://www.fixkick.com/IGN_timing/firing8v.jpg
like this , only works unless we time it the other 3 none factory ways,, they work too but this prevents confusion down the line....

you did lash too?
sorry for long post ,busy painting... back later.
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Got spark, got fuel, got compression, no start :/ - by fixkick - 09-29-2015, 06:38 AM