Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any advice for '95 Sidekick restoration?
I bought a 4 door sidekick with auto transmission this summer. It has some body damage and over 160K miles. I am planning to rebuild it, add upgrades, repaint, everything. I want it to be better than it was when it was brand new.

I am looking for advice from others who have experience working on these vehicles such as:

Brands of parts/kits to avoid and why?

Types of upgrades that I should consider to improve the vehicle's performance and handling?

Specific problems that I might encounter once I get started?

And any motivational comments that you might have about my new hobby project.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1995 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4WD 4-door hardtop, G16 1.6L 16 valve L4 SOHC, 4-spd Auto Trans (Asin AW Model 03-72 LE), Non-ABS, Assembled in Ingersoil, Ontario. Currently in Tok, AK.
welcome !!
i'd just
do all fluids
brakes
belts
hoses
there are no limits today, on bad new parts or counterfeits. and changes every month..
see the parts on rockauto.com those are mostly good parts.
parts of fleabay, not so good. unless you check the makers name, first. names matter.

Som Ting Wong, bad.
Bosch good.
2 examples.
http://www.fixkick.com
Thanks Fixkick.

I will check out rockauto for parts and see how it compares to my local NAPPA store.
Do you have any recommendations for suspension upgrades?

I will be pulling the engine soon. Do you have any recommendations for overhaul kits and/or engine upgrades?
1995 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4WD 4-door hardtop, G16 1.6L 16 valve L4 SOHC, 4-spd Auto Trans (Asin AW Model 03-72 LE), Non-ABS, Assembled in Ingersoil, Ontario. Currently in Tok, AK.
napa is best. of best.
never ever got a bad part there.
i mention rock only for its wide list of choices,,,, just to know what's out there can really help.

the G16 is not a popular race engine so , hot rodding them is hard. (it's no toy or honda)
what punch out the cylinders to .030" (stroker cranks, who'd do that? )
the 16v breaths really good with the 16valves, go those?
If you have the 16v it be heard as heck to get more power out of it , short of turbo. so super charger. (THE VE IS ALREADY MAX at WOT)
95hp now, at fly. 1hp per cubic inch is nothing to sneeze at... very good. it is.

suspension, not jackups or ? just making stock work best, ?
well, get the best shocks. (im sure Koni' are out of the reach $$$ fully adjustable?)
upgrades have no limits.
eg: travel? changes , un-sprung weight reduction. , spring rates, progressive springs? , shocks adjustable type, poly bushings,
offroad mods are huge.
but on road, very little. really.

the biggest upgrade is a 5 speed, M/t (full power to rear wheels) drive one 1 time and go, wow this puppy moves...
automatics waste lots of that 95hp.
and the 16v upgrade. (if 8v)
and last the 2.0L J20 upgrade kit. if you can find an engine. they sell the kits.

id buy a used 1998 suzuki sidekick sport 1.8L J18 car with 5speed. in the light weight 2door, 2000 lbs, light. and is fast.
work from better base. but this car is super rare. so we must work, with what we go...
as is all vitara (platforms) here, they are getting more rare every day and used parts worse.

my dream is Samurai with j20
that be a real KICK.
A lot of info and things to think about.

Thank you.

It will probably be a month or so before I get started seriously on the project. Have to get the woodshed filled first so that I can have a warm shop to work in (first snow today!). I am not going to try to make a race car out of it, just want to be the best road car it can be (mileage is important too), but still be able to handle some rough going up the Taylor Hwy during hunting season. I will definitely be getting back to you.
each old car as parts crying for help.
brake lines rusty?
hoses weeping....
transmission or axle oil like tar.
first are inspections and doing service long ago skipped by prev.owners.
some parts on the car are not sold now, and discontinued at Suzuki.
All stripped down.

Where to start?

Guess I will start cleaning it up and strip the paint and work on all the little dents first.

This is going to be a big project!

I am planning to build my own front bumper. Any readers have advice about steel and/or designs for a front bumper?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

pressure wash it?
id go round pipe or square , and channel iron brackets.
i put on on my jeep to keep damage down to my way off road home.
brush ,downed branches and trees small, hits.
I made the brackets first.
mounted them and then welded the pipe on , in place.
I have a nice pressure washer and want to blast it, but it is inside my multi-purpose shop and I have a flat floor with no draining system and it is -10 F outside. The pressure washer would just make too much mess. I am thinking of rigging a curtain around it and using my small sand blaster to clean the underside with. If that doesn't work then it is going to have to be the bucket and brush method a little at a time. Oh well.

I am glad to read that you agree about the bend above the left rear wheel. What thickness of steel pipe and channel did you use for your front bumper? I am thinking that I want to keep the weight down as well as making sure that it is thin enough to crush in an accident and absorb the energy before the chassis is damaged. Much easier to replace a bumper than a chassis. Do you have photos of the bumper you made?
the steel supply center had all sizes and gauge.
i use what in effect was 1/8" thick. (just go , and pick out what you think is ok for weight. (mine was like 75lbs)
yes, not a rolling chassis,and frame off.

the body can be put on a cheap flat trailer and the moved out in the field and washed.
that is the best way, leave a mess in a field.
its just road dirt.

agree on , crush, saving frame
but that gets complicated. fast.
if say the bracket telescope,(crush) the bumper then smashes the body.
these cars are not made to crash.
but only you can make a system that is 5mph proof and hitting off road brush and what not.
or buy some old 5mph bumper cushions used back when they were retrofitted. <remember the bumpers that stood way out then>? 1974? ish?
might be able to scrounge some up.