Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
94 Vitara surging? timing?
ENGINE BOG: (no scan tools)
is compression 170+ PSI all 4, WOT? (check off good engine) )sea-level and heads not milled deep. (stock compression)
"lack of power from the engine. but has full power WOT."
and it's not misfiring. (felt) Misfiring is felt and heard, it's violent , and is not bogging, clean bogging is LEAN AFR.
is CEL lamp OUT running (but glows key on?)?

The EGR is dead now (cat gone). so you'd get code 51s all the time, (if in fact it has and EGR, some dont, some JDM cars some are EGR free and 02 free, new)
my guess is this is the Pacific market, car. with fire wall tag marked 27(NZ) or 24 right hand drive? RHD?
see code 01 here, http://www.fixkick.com/specs/Body-TAGS/i...%20tag.jpg
what is your 01 code.?

i bet if you gun the throttle by hand (timing light attached) the advance works perfect , the ECU cant help itself advance works all the time , unless you have it slammed in to limphome mode (suz failsafe) (driver with the diagnostic jumper inserted and see if code 12 changes to other codes as power drops (bogs)?

the 02, goes off line when you accelerate or go WOT, so its not the O2,
if not misfiring , or plugs turning black (tips checked)
then its lack of fuel. if lack of fuel then that has like 3 causes.

1: low fuel pressure. (filter clogged>):?
2: injector clogged, seems not if the WOT power is good. (WOT=wide open throttle)
3: ECU doing that, but why.??? (lean deal)

ill pretend spark and engine are good and guess 3
if its only #3 then its inputs to ECU are wrong, (its not the 02) its the MAF weak or dirty but then why would WOT work good (full power) so i land on TPS.

THE TPS gives all early TIP-IN power (right throttle foot) The TPS action causes the ECU to go to ACCEL mode, enrich mode about 12:1 AFR (air fuel ratio) goes richer, if not it bogs, and then catches up. (how fast is catches is a prime clue , only the driver can witness)
does yours catch up.? fast, or does only WOT (right foot action) return power.
if the fast catchup (small seconds) don't happen the fuel pressure is low.

side topic:
i'd not run 12degr. static advance. Hi Octane is a waste if , not using higher compression head, you do know low octane fuel burns faster than high , right?
this engine has no anti-knock sensor, so zero protection, if you cause Detonation. (boom)
at idle the ecu uses spark adv. to hold idle speed perfect, fine tuned, and running 12deg. can mess that all up. (leaving only the ISC slow actions to control idle (sluggish)

recap.
id need more information on how power on demand behaves....
when you accelerate the 02 turns off. (by design, hard coded too.)
the TPS is the first signal to the ECU that the driver needs ENRICH mode ,NOW. (it's fast as lightning normally) and does and driver feels full power now....
the MAF is a slow device, and reports too late , thus the above rule. (if the maf is bad power felt ,acts backwards)
If the TPS is dead , the engine BOGS fast as lightning. very fast BOG.
The MAF wakes up in 1second and all is good.

if we had a scan tool all this can be seen LIVE.
but we dont.
ON a car with scanner we can see all sensor work great
so the fuel pressure must be wrong.

now the FPR part.
it can fail like 5 ways, but 1: good, 2. stuck open and 3: stuck closed,
The MPR on this engine, raised pressure about 6psi when you stomp you right foot,if it fails to do that, the engine will bog, and most of these cars now, all have bad FPR.
they dont last 21 years.mostly dont.

the fuel pump pressure tests , include this device, I do 3 tests for it, (key on, idle , and wot)
and the injector balance test.

Id drive with the jumper planted , sure would.
all years covered. on DLC (lots of photos)

http://www.fixkick.com/CEL/DLC/DiagJump.html
http://www.fixkick.com

Messages In This Thread
94 Vitara surging? timing? - by Deadduck - 07-29-2015, 08:34 PM
RE: 94 Vitara surging? timing? - by fixkick - 07-29-2015, 11:00 PM
RE: 94 Vitara surging? timing? - by fixkick - 07-30-2015, 01:16 AM
RE: 94 Vitara surging? timing? - by Deadduck - 07-30-2015, 06:24 AM
RE: 94 Vitara surging? timing? - by fixkick - 07-30-2015, 11:37 AM
RE: 94 Vitara surging? timing? - by Deadduck - 07-30-2015, 03:27 PM
RE: 94 Vitara surging? timing? - by fixkick - 08-03-2015, 06:27 AM
RE: 94 Vitara surging? timing? - by Deadduck - 10-19-2015, 05:01 PM