Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
M/T Stripped Drain Plug - Welding in place OK?
Oh, the joys of working on an old vehicle after someone has been there before you Smile

I have a 1994 Geo Tracker 2dr, 2wd, 1.6 8v, 5-speed which I purchased April 2015. I was just trying to drain and fill the tranny and diff with fresh fluid (GL4 in tranny & GL5 rear end). The fill plugs on both were tight, not unusual after doing some searching. I ordered the proper 10mm square socket and with heat the diff plug came loose.

My problem is the trans fill plug is so buggered from the previous owner(s) that it's stripped. I've seen the pictures of welding a bolt into the plug recess. I know a welder but he is concerned about doing this while the plug is in the transmission. His fear is an arc might cause damage to the transmission gears. Should I weld in place or not?

Thank you,

Bruce
greetings and welcome.
yes, and the first time ever the plugs are (glued caulked in ( in the factory and after many year, of not touches, is like diamonds.. that glue, only heat works there.
suzuki does still sell the 10mm plugs.

good question, but disconnect the battery neg lug and Plus in that order, before welding on any car. (saVE the electronics...)
then ground the welder to the trans case directly some way.

use mig./tig to weld it in place. and do so for short seconds, let it cool and repeat.
keep it from going red hot. for sure.
the problem is it must come out some way, if the vise grips cant hold it, there is no other way.
cold chisel it CCW. bit by bit?? is all i can think of....

good luck to you and hope it comes out very easy....

if you need the suz p/n on the plug hollar.
http://www.fixkick.com
Thank you FixKick!

I'll print your reply for my welder.

Also, "big thanks" for all your repair pages! I found those and made use of them before joining the forum today Smile

Actually I don't find the Tracker (Suzuki Sidekick) that odd to work on. My past in-depth mechanical experience has been motorcycles. I had 2 project Honda CT-90's (1973 & 1979, these have 6-volt systems too) and a Suzuki 400 Burgman scooter. The Burgman taught me that Suzuki builds a good vehicle but you have to "read" before you start working on it.

Bruce
FixKick,

Update, finally had a chance to have a friend weld a bolt to the transmission fill plug yesterday. All worked out just fine. After a couple of spot welds the plug came out and he finished welding the bolt to the plug with it removed from the transmission. Finally after so many months I was able to drain the transmission fluid and replace last night with GL4. Tracker shifts better with new fluid and reverse is easier to find.

Now on to the plugged EGR passages and a new timing belt, water pump, etc.

Thank you for the tips above,
Bruce
good news !

do the egr stall test first (or when ready). it might pass.
http://www.fixkick.com